Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed breed
30-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #1

Raw feeding - different to dogs?

We have the chance to get a 4 1/2 month old kitten - a private re-home. But as I have switched my dogs to a raw diet, I would like to do the same if we decide to get this kitten.

So basically, what are the ratios needed for a cat, what meats/bone/offal can a cat have/not have and anything else..

I am pretty much clueless about cats, I know the basics but I need to know more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Re: Raw feeding - different to dogs?

Sorry - can't help here but I know there are some members who feed raw so hopefully someone will be able to help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Same here .........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Our Dogs get raw once or twice a week and i usualy give Jerry the cat some too, however he's mostly fed felix so i can't advise on a completely raw diet.

Catsey Junior

31-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

I think doing a little research of my own, raw feeding a cat is a lot harder, so he might just get some as a treat..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
31-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

I intoduced raw meat as a supplement only, to my 2 cats a few years ago, just to make sure they get their quota of vits and minerals each day, I also have down dry and wet so they can choose what they want.
In a cat's natural state, yes, they would get bones, the lot, and there are websites that will tell you how to grind up and/or buy the ratio correctly for what a cat needs. Some supplement their cat's diet with chicken wings, but I don't have the confidence to feed mine chicken wings so they get raw chicken breast more or less every day, they absoloutely crave it. Some people put down mincemeat and mine have eaten this but not as much as the chicken, I guess they wouldn't stalk and fell a cow in the wild, right! I'm NO expert, I can only give you my personal experience, but I know the chicken has brought Mitzi through her illness a treat. Bear in mnd though that they put all sorts of nasties in a chicken's food to plump them up, get as organic as you can so you don't pass these on to your kitten.
As with all raw foods, always give give completely fresh, easiest to use frozen and given as SOON as it has defrosted in the fridge, never give it warm.
As with any new diet, start off slowly. I would try your little one on a little fresh chicken breast while you're researching the raw diet. You can change at any time. Cut it up fresh then put into the ice cube tray. Knock out a 'cube' to defrost each time you want to use it. That's how I started.

Catsey Junior

31-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
I intoduced raw meat as a supplement only, to my 2 cats a few years ago, just to make sure they get their quota of vits and minerals each day, I also have down dry and wet so they can choose what they want.
In a cat's natural state, yes, they would get bones, the lot, and there are websites that will tell you how to grind up and/or buy the ratio correctly for what a cat needs. Some supplement their cat's diet with chicken wings, but I don't have the confidence to feed mine chicken wings so they get raw chicken breast more or less every day, they absoloutely crave it. Some people put down mincemeat and mine have eaten this but not as much as the chicken, I guess they wouldn't stalk and fell a cow in the wild, right! I'm NO expert, I can only give you my personal experience, but I know the chicken has brought Mitzi through her illness a treat. Bear in mnd though that they put all sorts of nasties in a chicken's food to plump them up, get as organic as you can so you don't pass these on to your kitten.
As with all raw foods, always give give completely fresh, easiest to use frozen and given as SOON as it has defrosted in the fridge, never give it warm.
As with any new diet, start off slowly. I would try your little one on a little fresh chicken breast while you're researching the raw diet. You can change at any time. Cut it up fresh then put into the ice cube tray. Knock out a 'cube' to defrost each time you want to use it. That's how I started.
Thank you for that.. it's the ratios I need more than anything. I do understand the cow thing though - I've wondered why cat food has beef flavour when they wouldn't naturally eat it, but then - it's variety. My dogs aren't likely to go hunting Ox or Ostrich - but I can put that in their diet if I wanted to.. and they'd be lucky if they could catch a fish

I think I'll stick with cat food then swap to raw when I've done more research (and got a bigger freezer)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

hi SLB welcome

i gave raw feeding a try with my two.. they are both 4 so its been quite hard to switch them... and ive given up now really. they will have the odd bit of raw chicken and one cat has taken to it better than the other..

i did think about trying my two on the natural instinct, because one thing i would worry about with the cats is making sure they get the correct nutrients. (in fact even thought about trying it for the dogs)

either that or they have a good quality dry food down all day, and then i offer up meat at breakfast and supper, so i know the complete nutrients are in the biscuits.

Catsey Junior

03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-clo-x
hi SLB welcome

i gave raw feeding a try with my two.. they are both 4 so its been quite hard to switch them... and ive given up now really. they will have the odd bit of raw chicken and one cat has taken to it better than the other..

i did think about trying my two on the natural instinct, because one thing i would worry about with the cats is making sure they get the correct nutrients. (in fact even thought about trying it for the dogs)

either that or they have a good quality dry food down all day, and then i offer up meat at breakfast and supper, so i know the complete nutrients are in the biscuits.
I tried him on a chicken wing last night, as the dogs had carcasses, he tasted it, but the wet food went down better.. I think I'll give up with the raw

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB
I tried him on a chicken wing last night, as the dogs had carcasses, he tasted it, but the wet food went down better.. I think I'll give up with the raw
from what i understand its hard to do the older the cat is.. mine will sometimes eat raw mince.. and pieces of raw chicken breast... so i just give them as a treat really, and they have a dry food down all day (just done a trial with what they like best) and with half a pouch each in the morning and half at night.. this seems to do my two fine, never had a problem with them, never been ill. never been to the vets apart from being spayed

i did think about trying natural instinct but i dont want to order a load if they dont like it.