Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Wet food/Kitten food

Hi All,
I feed my 4 kittens dry Arden Grange, and wet Whiskas Pouches.....but having 4, i'm getting through a lot of pouches per day!

Do the kittens have to be on wet kitten food, or is wet adult cat food ok (was thinking tins as works out cheaper feeding 4)

Also, what food is better than the Whiskas, but not too highly priced?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Re: Wet food/Kitten food

It does have to be kitten food if they're not close to a year old I believe. Adult cat food doesn't have the nutrients they need for growing as well as the active lifestyle that kittens have.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Squirrel's right, but I found when feeding both a kitten and adult the kitten insisted on eating the adult food (and she loved the kitten food - both wet, of course) and grew to be a healthy happy adult himself. Kittens in the wild eat what mum cat provides, and there aren't any kitten-mice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

Ours eat both. It's not doing ours any harm they love getting out (conservatory) to eat the adult Felix & then later come inside to eat kitten Felix - altho to be honest I give a mix of kitten Felix & Nature Menu kitten. I'm lucky as the adults dont like the kitten food

For example between the two kittens they get what would be equivalent of a wet sachet each per day of kitten food, the rest of their food is a mix of dry kitten Food and wet /dry adult food. We free feed so food is always available

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
08-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

I free feed the dry kitten food, but I give the wet in a morning and at night.
Think I might change them onto tinned adult wet food - they are still getting kitten dry.
I think it's going to work out cheaper feeding a few tins a day rather than 6 pouches a day!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

I know that kittens do have different requirements than adults, but I wonder if, in the urge to sell more, the cat food manufacturers haven;t taken specialized diets a bit too far? I'm expecting any day to see food for blue-eyed white cats with arthritis, or Indoor Abysinnians with CRF!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
09-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

I think you are right there, I think the manufacturers are taking advantage of young animal owners a bit. We are so worried about doing the right thing for our pets and some of the food costs a fortune. I get through enough with two Lester is now starting to steal Tiger's food if he thinks I'm not looking

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 tortie(f) 2 b&w (m) 1 black(f)
10-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #8

i found whenever i brought my kittens in that they would eat the adult food, magic especially started turning her nose up to kitten and eating the adult, so i just stopped buying kitten food, now all are adults (3 of which under 2) and i feed 2 tins of wet food between the 4 of them and dry food down aswell so they can choose what to eat, it is much cheaper, my cats arn't fussy when it comes to food, but i tend to buy classic cat food as its not overly expensive and as its made by "butchers" its gotta be better than the tesco/asda own and is usually cheaper, pets at home usually have great deals on with it aswell at the minute its £11.42 for a 24 pack

£5.20 in tesco for a 12 pack of classic so cheaper slightly than pets at home for 24 tins

and its only 1p more expensive than the tesco stuff

hope this helps you a bit xx

ETA: i also only feed stuff in jelly or supermeat, not gravy, but thats more to do with how my mum fed the cats as i was growing up because it ran through them and i find if i feed too much gravy (an odd tin here or there is ok) then its the same here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

When I was doing CP, most of our wet food was donated, and very little of it was kitten. Therefore they got kitten dry food down and fed tins of adult wet food. Never saw a problem with any of them lol. Tbh I think it's all a manufacturing ploy to get us to spend more money and make us feel guilty

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #10

my cats had kitten food, but they were on the same food at the same time (theres only a couple of months between them) so i didnt have a problem of them pinching each others.

just a word of warning about the tins though, i tried switching mine onto tins as it was cheaper for me to feed than pouches... and the cats wouldnt touch it. they really did not want the meat out of the tins. i dont know if it is cooked differently or what, but my cats refused tin meat. so if i was you buy a couple of tins individually and see if they eat them, dont just buy a pack of 24 like i did