Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
31-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

He's come home to die

I went on holiday for 2 weeks, and came home last Thursday. Myszka seemed normal then, but on the weekend I noticed he wasn't himself. I took him to the vets Monday, she thought it was pancreatitis, gave meds and we went home. He worsened Tuesday so I took him back and the vet said it was his kidneys failing. They kept him in. Today I've brought him home to die basically. They were flushing his system but the blood tests showed no improvement in the levels, though he perked up a bit himself and started eating again. Vet thinks it's chronic kidney disease. I understand he doesn't really have long left, the vet will come out and euthanise when it's time.
How do I get through this? What do I do?
I'm crushed. I can't think straight.
My parents are upset too, they were close to him. They coming up tomorrow.
He's only 2 and a half.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

Re: He's come home to die

Oh Feliss I am really sorry to hear about this, poor little Myszka. I do sympathise and all you can do is make sure he's as comfortable as possible and make the most of your time with him. It's doubly distressing because he's so young still. ((((HUGS))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
31-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #3

*hugs* so sorry to hear about Myszka

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
31-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

What an awful time for you. I only got through this when its happened to me by thinking I gave my animals the best life possible even if only for a short time. Lots of hugs to you and the poorly one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #5

So very, very sorry for you having to go through this. ((hugs)) for you and gentle ones for Myszka, peaceful passing little one x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
31-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #6

So sorry to hear your dreadful news about Myszka.He is still with you so enjoy every day with him. It is good that he is still eating.Hang in there, because Myszka needs all your strength now. I will keep him in my prayers.

Catsey Junior

01-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #7

Thank you all. It's such a terrible shame he's so young, struggling with that still.
X

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
02-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Bless little Myszka. I'm so very sorry you've been hit with this news, as you say, so young. But take comfort from the fact that he feels you and your parent's love, you are giving him the best care you can give and you have been given at least a bit of time to say goodbye, unbelievably hard as it is..be strong for him and keep loving him, that is all that he needs from you and your ma and pa. Without sounding clichéd it's amazing how love can help carry a loved one through the tough times. I know my little Mitzi was loved by all and it gave her strength in herself to face each day 'normally' in the face of the inevitable. Take comfort from all that he has and all that you are giving him. xx

Catsey Junior

04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #9

Thank you again for taking the time to reply x

After feeling I'd almost got it straight in my head that today we'd ask the vets to come out to put him to sleep, he's looking like he's got some character today -performing all basic functions, responding to his name, generally looking more alert and wanting to walk about the house. Waiting for the vet to call me back so can discuss everything. It looks like we might have to keep taking each day as it comes, difficult when I'm expecting each one to be his last. Also difficult when it comes to other life commitments and work.. I'm not sure how I feel about leaving him for 10 hours a day this coming wknd. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #10

Oh Feliss, how tragic for you. Truthisoutthere has summed it up very well.

In terms of what to do regarding monitoring Myszka,it's difficult with work commitments and having just come back from holiday it's hard to take more time off but couldn't your parents or a friend help out by staying over during the day? If the vets are manned out of hours, could they take him in whilst you're out? Of course there is additional cost involved but at least you have peace of mind knowing he's being looked after.