Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

Surprise in the Shed

I know it's been a long time since i've been here, so incredibly busy with school.

Not sure if you remember about my ferals, well, turns out I have a baby kitten too.

I'm not really sure what to do and the feral cat people told me it could take a while before they can get them spayed/neutered.

Should I get the kitten baby formula (for cats) or just leave it? I put a small plastic dog carrier in the shed with a blanket and water for it. It was hiding underneath the tractor and I was afraid it would get stuck in the engine so I put it in the crate. The door is left open of course.

What do I do?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
10-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

Re: Surprise in the Shed

Looks too small to fend for itself. If it were me I would be bottle feeding it with it kitten formula and slowly introducing solid kitten food. Feed little and often. When I have had hand reared kittens I started with feeds every 2 hours but realise this may not be practical so feed small amounts as often as you can. I used a small syringe to start with to make sure the kittens got the milk. This little chap will not survive without help, best of luck. He looks to be about 2 - 3 weeks old. Nearer 3 weeks as his eyes are open. This happens at 2 weeks. He will not feed unaided yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

As above and I agree the kitten will not feed alone is Mom cat about. I think you are very kind for looking out for the cats and now a kitten.

Nice to see you around too.

Catsey Senior

11-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #4

Since I know next to nothing about cats or kittens, would it be a possibility for the mom to disown it if I were to bring it in at night and put it back in the shed during the day? I have 7 dogs here and not too sure how safe it would be to have it here 24-7. I never thought of her spreading the babies around. I will take a look around the area to see if I can find more or at least hear them. There is definitely only one baby in the shed, I would have heard the others by now.

If I were to bring it in the house, where would I keep him/her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

I wonder if mother cat was in the process of moving her kittens? Either from your shed or to it ..... I think it is very unusual for a cat to have only one kitten, although I am sure it can happen.

I don't know enough about hand rearing such young animals and I am thinking whether it would be better to put the kitten back where you found it and keep a watchful eye if at all possible. Good luck and you are brilliant to be caring for your feral "pride".

Catsey Senior

12-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #6

I brought him in today. He was still in the same spot crying like crazy. I also can't choose between the names Sherbert or Cheddar, lol