Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #1

"Fake" tan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7461017.stm

What are your thoughts on it .......have you/do you use it?

This article this morning made me wonder, does it look unnatural and can you tell if someone has used it? It must have improved from years ago when people used to end up with orangey streaks on their arms and legs........must admit I tried it once in my teens and ended scrubbing it off quick!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: "Fake" tan

Never used it, I tan very easily without...I do not personally like it, think its too orange...
but, my sons girlfriend uses it, and they went out last week, she had to sit in the car for 2 hours, she got so hot her tan started to run, and she came back all streaky!!!So has given up on it now....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

LOL Mags! I've just been reading this on the BBC site and sniggering

I tan very easily and have only used the johnson's moisturiser with tan during one year (I think it was the year I was pregnant with Sebi and couldn't sit out in the sun). Otherwise I tend to use the real sun or occasionally (like this summer) a sunbed.

Some fake tans are very good. Not the cheap rubbish you get out of a bottle but the mist-on ones available in salons. The degree of orangeness depends on your own skin type . . . the fairer you are the more orange the result. Although even that is diminishing and you can usually get a nice bronzed effect.

My personal feeling is that a tan - even a year-round one can be very nice provided it's not overt. By that I mean you're not showing off every inch of your body on the high street come rain or snow. It's like everything, if your overall image is cheap than no amout of tan, fake or real is going to make you look classy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #4

It's a strange thing, isn't it? I wonder when the perception of having a "healthy glow" (or having tanned skin) changed? It used to be a sign that you were "common" or did outdoor work and it was far more chic to be "pale and interesting". 'course, I don't remember those times myself!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #5

My personal feeling is that a tan - even a year-round one can be very nice provided it's not overt. By that I mean you're not showing off every inch of your body on the high street come rain or snow. It's like everything, if your overall image is cheap than no amout of tan, fake or real is going to make you look classy!

Well put Yola!!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #6

That's an excellent way of putting it Yola!

I usually go very pale once my summer tan has disappeared...... I also believe a bit of a tan can make you feel good about yourself.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic Short hair
Steph is Male
18-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

I tan very easily as well-I know I run a risk of skin cancer but when I`m tanned I`m tanned and when I`m pale I`m pale-I could never ,ever wish to look some well known antiques chappy.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: RAGDOLL
18-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #8

you still see people walking about with orange streeky hands and can tell a mile away that they have fake tan on. i have never used it and wouldn't consider using it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #9

I admit to using it once in my long-ago teens and it was ghastly! I've been a sunbather all my life: love basking in the sun for hours working on my tan, but have given it up, unfortunately, since I did develop a skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma, easily cured with surgery, thank God!) . I miss the healthy look of a real tan, but do not want to have to undergo surgery again, so......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #10

You're wise Eileen. I too used to bask in the sun in my teens. Luckily, nothing untoward yet. But I no longer bask, or if I do, I cover up and wear a sunhat too.

I suppose that's one good thing about "fake" tan - if it means people don't roast themselves any longer!

(I used to love the smell of Ambre Solaire oil!)