Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
21-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #1

Peer pressure

Although at Ceilidh's school everyone has to wear uniform (she's 6) Yesterday I went to pick her up and she had gym shoes on. It turned out that her strap on one of her shoes had broken. Anyway I took her for a new pair. They had to be the ones with the dolls hidden in the soles. £30 for the pleasure!!! I don't really mind as they are Clark's and I have a thing about measuring kids feet and not skimping on the cost of shoes. BUT at 6!! she wouldn't be the same as her palls. I ask you!! Such a shame. They should be playing not comparing shoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #2

Re: Peer pressure

TV is indoctrinating children to be little consumers!!! Gotta have the "in" thing, the right brand name, the very latest! Such a shame that they feel left out if they don't have it....what's happened to childhood.???????

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #3

Katie (7) had to have a new pair of shoes in the Christmas holidays ....... yes, she too had to have the ones with the dolls hidden in each heel.

In Katie's case though, I think it's the Mum's who are always competing with each other!

We were never like that at her age, we just had what our mother's chose for us..

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #4

Exactly Eileen!!

They should be out playing, swinging from ropes hanging off trees.

As you say what happened to childhood? This is the kind of thing we expect of teenagers, not 6 year olds.

Totally off the subject (well not really) When I was at Ceilidh's last parents night her teacher said she had a great imagination. She loved to watch her playing as she got totally lost. Now I'm not bumping her up but she can play with anything from paper clips to dolls!!!!! I love watching her.

She now has an Nintendo (haha we know that story) the thing is......she wanted it because all her friends have one and she felt left out. I think she has played with it about 8 times since Christmas.

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #5

Mags, when I think about school my Mum's words ring in my ears.........you'll grow into it nobody noticed or minded. That wouldn't happen now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

That's what I like about Dominik's school. Even though after the age of 7 it becomes and all-girls school, they are SO strict on uniform there is no room for that kind of stuff. Sure, I see some of the older, 11 year old girls in holiday care in their own clothes and they all have the latest ugg boots etc etc, but uniform is uniform and there is no argument in school.

Jac, Dominik's like that too - with the games! I bought him a remote control Dalek for Christmas; he raves about it all the time, but when it comes to it, he plays with scraps of paper in the washing maching pretending it's a tardis and the dalek is comletely ignored!

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #7

Yola, I think he's Ceilidh's soul mate

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #8

I think it's absolutely great that Ceilidh and Domi use their imaginations for play!!! That's part of (or should be!) of childhood......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #9

JAC! I know exactly what you mean, I just got my son these this week, £34 for the ones with the wee cars in! He's 5.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
22-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #10

breaths a sigh of relief that all mine are grown up n left home