Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Fostering

Well, we have had our foster child now since November and things are going okay. A couple of people have pm'd me to ask so I thought I would give an update.

We have had a few problems and he has tested the boundaries, but is generally a good lad. He never shouts, argues or slams doors!! He usually does as he's told too! He can be very withdrawn and moody, but we have certainly seen more smiles lately. A few of the teachers at school have said he seems happier and more confident in the last few weeks. I am sure he must feel more settled knowing that he will be here until he is an adult. We try and give him choice and praise him as much as possible and try to make him feel part of the family too.

Next week-end he is going into respite overnight as it it my daughters 18th Birthday and we are going to London to see a play. He seems okay with this, he does know the lady so that helps. The reason we aren't taking him is that the play is too adult for him and he really hates crowds. My son is catching the train from Cardiff, where he is at uni, and meeting us there. Will be great to see him as we haven't seen him since Christmas.

I'll give you another update in a few months!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
08-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #2

Re: Fostering

So glad it's going well.
All kids test the boundaries whether yours or not, he just sounds normal to me .
I have a 17 year old son going on 7 at the moment. I think it's the hormones he's worse than my 6 year old! I hope your boy continues to flourish with your love. thanks for the update.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Glad things are going generally well Kim. I imagine he is enjoying life as the days lengthen and warm up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #4

So pleased to hear that things are going well with him, and things were bound to be a bit up and down for the first few months. But as he's settled he's obviously becoming happier. look forward to hearing more in a few months.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
08-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #5

Glad things are going ok. How old is he?
I was terrible as a teen, but that was mainly coz my brother would wind me up n id just fly of the handles lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #6

Sounds a lot like family life to me Kim, glad its working out well.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #7

Sounds just like my children, pushing the boundaries, quite normal! Glad it's going well Kim x

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments. Janey, he is 13. Yes, we expected him to push the boundaries, as you say quite normal especially for a teenager!!

I just can't imagine how it must be for him though, going to live with virtual strangers, he's been pushed around so much, no idea about his background, parents, etc. He's Brazilian so living in a different culture too. I think it makes my own children realise how lucky they are, certainly makes me realise how lucky I was as a child.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #9

They come with such baggage it's hard for them to settle but it sounds like he has settled in and you are all managing well together.

Well done to you for supporting him and caring for him. I hope things continue to go well for you. Big hugs for all your hard work XXXX

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #10

Thank-you Babycakes.