Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #11

Re: Religious Education

Just wanted to add that I do not believe that the purpose of RE lessons is for students to be 'fed religious propaganda'. Students learn about all aspects of various religions, it is factual information and they are free to make up their own minds. I work in a school and the RE teacher is great, they have some really interesting, healthy discussions where they can put across their own opinions. It is about tolerating each other and understanding differing cultures.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #12

That sounds like a valuable and interesting class, then, Fran! Wish we'd had that back in the day......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #13

I had a wonderful RE teacher at school. As there was only one teacher for the whole school it wasn't compulsory but I chose to take it. Out of the other 5 students who took it, I was the only one who took it seriously, they only wanted it because it was an easy higher (GCSE). In the end I was the only one who passed lol. But it led to a life long love of learning about other faiths and trying to see people understand each other better. My teacher took us to Glasgow central mosque, had a jewish member of the community come in and speak to us. Went to catholic and protestant churches etc, and I still look back on it fondly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
04-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #14

I think it should be an option and it should teach all aspects of religion and the conflicts fought in the name of and the oppression caused by it.....Don't get me started.

But to make it compulsory when they have dropped Cookery beggars belief at least that was a life skill that also included budgeting for yourself and/or family, which in todays world is a major downfall in society since it has been dropped....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #15

My main sticking point is that if you dont believe in god then the lesson of RE is a bit farcical (SP?). Its like teaching kids about the tooth fairy really existing and dragons live in the woods. If it is not real to you it is a complete waste of time.

Even if you learn of others beliefs, you still cannot relate to it when you dont believe in 'any' god or religion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #16

BC - in Tom's school, food tech is part of the technology curriculum, students can choose only 1subject to take for GCSE. Tom chose electronics but many of his friends are doing food tech!

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
My main sticking point is that if you dont believe in god then the lesson of RE is a bit farcical (SP?). Its like teaching kids about the tooth fairy really existing and dragons live in the woods. If it is not real to you it is a complete waste of time.

Even if you learn of others beliefs, you still cannot relate to it when you dont believe in 'any' god or religion.
I think an understanding of what others believe in is healthy and gives a balanced view of the world and also can strengthen your disbelief. I do feel that people should be aware of what is causing so much angst all over the world to gain an understanding all things really, but I too don't beleive in God. (and I went to church for 17 years and my family are very religious, so I feel I do have a base and experience from which to say this).
For me praying is talking to a mute counsellor, the answers are within ourselves. If we spent the same time searching within for them, (using quality time and quiet thought) we would resolve our own issues, empowering us by knowing we did it

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
BC - in Tom's school, food tech is part of the technology curriculum, students can choose only 1subject to take for GCSE. Tom chose electronics but many of his friends are doing food tech!
It used to be part of the curriculum though didn't it not an option?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Mogs/Siamese/Orientals
Tom is Male
04-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
It used to be part of the curriculum though didn't it not an option?
In year 7,8,9 it is part of the curriculum but when you get to GCSE you can choose whether you would like to take it further or not

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna

I don't agree, sorry Donna. It's sort of a selfish attitute that, 'well I don't believe so I don't want to understand why others do and what it's all about' RE also gives a great insight into world troubles and why certain religions only eat certain foods, eat it in a certain manner etc... If this only provides you with a reason why your local curry house cooks the meat the way it does then at least it's something learned. All learning enriches us, it helps mould an all round, well balanced individual that is educated enough to make choices based on fact and gives an insight into what makes the world go round. No man is an Island as my father would have said. We live in a multicultural society. To understand different religions, needs, traits, allows us to live harmoniously will all our neighbours