Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #1

Food shopping

Why oh why do people go bonkers at Christmas - the shops are only closed for 1 day & folks must be stocking up for months!

Went early today because I know how mad it gets in our local Asda (they had to close the store yesterday because the queues were too big) so we went at 7am when they opened. Me, Mr Smudgley & the 2 junior Smudgleys. It was crazy in there. The queues were all down the isles.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #2

Re: Food shopping

I always think people behave as if there will be no food on the shelves for at least 2 weeks! What on earth are they going to do with it all? I suppose the answer is 'eat it - then get indigestion'. Crazy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
23-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #3

Lots of people had 2 trolleys I wouldn't even fit 2 trolleys full in my cupboards!
One lady in front of me spent over £300
We bought a few extra bits & pieces sure, but blimey folks go crackers!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
23-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

I didnt dare go near Asda here......I knew it would be crazy.

Got all my Fruit and Veg yesterday locally, then Sainsburys today near lunchtime, and I must amit it was not stressful - phew!

Listening to Christmas Carols at the mo then more pressy wrapping. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #5

It's insanity!!! i'm actually a bit cross with hubby as I sent him a text yesterday saying 'nibbles sorted' and he bought not only another full set of finger food but doubled up on the cheese, herrings and pate that I'd bought. Now I really don't want to pig out over Christmas but I also hate wasting food - what's a girl to do

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
23-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #6

We went to Sainsburys yesterday at about 5pm and it wasn't too bad, got everything we needed apart from sausage rolls because they had sold out of them (but the brother in law got us some today). I was very strict on luxuries though as many a Christmas we haven't eaten them all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #7

I went to Asda on wednesday to get mine and it was empty, passed through the one at the town centre today and it was handbags at 20 paces material!!!! I had to go to my local one half an hour ago as I forgot to get the girls their new jammies for Christmas Eve (duh!), and it was so quiet it was unbelievable!!!! My cousin had nipped in to drop off pressies and she told me it was like that so it was coat on and rush up there before it changed, lol. But I haven't bought anything extra really, just my turkey and some nibbles for my mum coming on boxing day. The rest was just my normal shop. How people can eat £300 worth of food over the festive period is beyond me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #8

Well - I have to say I am charmed my sister (fool) was in the qeue for Asda at 5.30/6 am this morning handbags at crack of Dawn there, she got stressed was tired and came home fed up with Christmas.

I got up at 8.30am, had boiled egg and toast cup of coffee, which was interupped a couple of times by my Dad ringing to ask when I was picking him up - I said about 11 and he went into a strop saying there would be nothing left (he'd spoken to Di my sister) I said don't panic. Picked him up at about 11 went into Sainsbury's drove straight into a parking place by the door, got the few things left to get ie bread, banana's, toms, lettuce etc, joint pork etc etc. The things Mom wanted too. Nothing major no stress the rush had happened. Got everything spent the grand total of £2.15 cash (used my sainsbury' points) very happy.

Then into Sutton (wouldn't touch B'ham town with a barge pole weekend before C.mas) again into a parking place in seconds right by the lift in the multi storey for Dad. Into Sutton walked slowly Dad brought a couple of bits for me (ie I picked them up a DVD and a watch) he paid. Then he stayed in BHS with a pot of tea I shot off and got the rest of the shopping sussed out what he wanted for Mom then collected him and took him back straight to the shops involved ie 2, and saved his legs that way he was delighted, we brought them. Stopped and listened to the brass band playing carols in the shopping centre as we ate hot sausage rolls, then we came home. A great day I love Christmas.

Lovely day no idea why people stress.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
23-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #9

thursday the Qs to get into the carpark at tescos was NO WAY, so ened up at lidles, bought loads of stuff, and came home with change. then yesterday went to market with my daughter n grandaughter, bought a couple of bits. then this morning found a space in tescos car park!!!! done all the shopping i had forgotten, i havnt gone over board, but bought bought extra cause got daughter n grandson comeing 2morrow for dinner. was going to pick up MIL but shes given herself food poisioning (her own fault long story) so now ive got masses of food, im not happy with her she could help it, shes got a pile of prezzys here, which she wont get till jan some time.
not happy crap start to christmas, im looking forward to seeing the little fella open some prezzys, he shakes with excitment hes not 3 yet, LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #10

Wow, sounds like a madhouse in some stores! I didn't market today, had to go to the vets to pick up Leia's meds; will pop into Whole Foods tomorrow for some odds and ends; expect it will be jammed!