Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

8 hours in New York City

Inspired by Mags' Venice travelogue, I have looked out some pictures of my one and only visit to NYC. A beautiful day in July 1996. We were on route (by hire care) from Maine to the Adirondacks and had stopped off for a couple of days in Albany (State capital of New York). Our hosts insisted we had to see the city that never sleeps, so we went for a day trip, on the train. 6.30 am start and arrive at Penn station (Madison Square Garden etc) with the workers at 9am. We walked about - 5th Avenue, Time Square, Maceys etc - the did the Circle Line boat trip (I think it's from Pier 32) ... well worth doing if you have a limited time there; you travel all around Manhatten island.
Then back for lunch in a diner and afternoon queing for and visiting, The Empire State - some views! (Helluva lift too ) Back with the commuters at 5pm and arrive back exhaused early evening. It was a great day - I'd like to spend a week there sometime.

Quality is not the greatest - they are scans of prints, but .... Hope you enjoy

Pics

Lady Liberty

The United Nations Building, and the Chrysler Building (so beautiful) in the background

5th Anniversary coming up

and closer

Good view from the top of the Empire State Building (twin towers in the distance)

another direction

and another

It's a bit sick-making if you look straight down!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #2

Re: 8 hours in New York City

Excellents pics DM, sounds like it was a hectic day!

Both my son and daughter have visited New York and came back with some great pics. They stayed there for 3 days and thought that was very tiring so I can imagine how you felt after 1 day! They went in November and the weather was crisp and beautiful then. Hopefully we may make the trip one day....especially as they do flights from Bristol to NY now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
09-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #3

Lovely to see your pics x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing, great pics! I alweays get goosebumps seeing Lady Liberty and her torch and shivers when I see the Twin Towers....Monday will be a somber day here....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #5

We'll be thinking of you all tomorrow US DM It's my wedding anniversary on 9/11 so a very bittersweet day for me - feel a bit bad about feeling good about it to be honest.

UK DM - I just love those pics . . . especially the one looking down on the building roofs - amazing!!! I've never been to New York (or anywhere in the States for that matter), but it's a city I would visit immediately given the chance.

I have a good friend who married a New Yorker and she spends a lot of time there - I so envy her. He's a banker and they're minted too - so lots of lovely shopping for her

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #6

Yola - we had such fun, and saw so much, in one day in NY, I think these 3 day trips the airlines promote would be very fruitful - you'd have time to do museums/galleries, if that's your 'thang', take in a show on Broadway, see Central Park, Greenwich Village, etc. Go for it!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #7

wow what fantastic clear pictures ,new yourk is such a busy lively place it must be 8 years since we were there now and a lot has changed since then as we know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Yola - we had such fun, and saw so much, in one day in NY, I think these 3 day trips the airlines promote would be very fruitful - you'd have time to do museums/galleries, if that's your 'thang', take in a show on Broadway, see Central Park, Greenwich Village, etc. Go for it!
Do you fancy a bit of babysitting DM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #9

Great pictures DM. I have never been to the US but it would be an amazing adventure. Would love to go one day...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #10

Happy anniversary, Yola! It's nice to hear of something pleasant ssociated with that date !!