Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #1

Croatia ~ Rovinj

We arrived at Pula airport after a 5 hour delay due to one of the aircraft's engines ingesting a bird!! A coach was waiting to transport us along a very scenic route to Rovinj, just three quarter of an hour's ride away.

Our hotel was situated in the beautiful Zlatni rt-Punta Corrente Park Forest......

........and this was the view we had from our balcony on the 4th floor...

.......another hotel view...

Rovinj is a very old town with a rocky coastline on the Istrian Peninsular. It was originally an island and was first mentioned in the 7th century. The whole town is entirely contained within an egg-shaped peninsular. The massive Cathedral of St. Euphemia completely dominates the town from its hill-top location in the middle of the peninsula. It was built in 1736 and is the largest baroque building in Istria. The 60m bell tower is the tallest in Istria and was constructed by Italian architects who modelled it after St. Mark's bell tower in Venice.

The town itself is still an active fishing port - everything appears to be very laid back and no-one appears to have the need to rush around. The cobbled and inclining narrow streets in the old town are very picturesque......

We had to smile when we noticed in the last pic that most of the old houses boasted a sky dish........so out of character!!

One day we took a boat trip around 13 of the islands off Rovinj which proved to be very "interesting"!! Extremely pretty islands but I would risk being banned by Az if I posted any pic of the 2 main ones.....as they were naturist islands!
Here is a pic of a less populated one!....

During the warm sultry evenings the town comes to life with the many pavement cafes where people can eat, drink or just watch the world go by......or maybe have one of the delicious Croation icecreams.

Finally, every evening we were presented with this lovely sunset while we took a gentle stroll along the sea front into the town.......

This was our second visit to Rovinj and I would rate it amongst one of my favourite places.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #2

Re: Croatia ~ Rovinj

Simply beautiful pictures Mags, looks lovely, not a touristy place at all, its my kind of place to visit...I am surprised you came home!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #3

That looks really lovely Mags. I've never been to Croatia but it looks like it is a little similar to Bulgaria, with Greek overtones .......... and you can't beat a beautiful Med sunset.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
07-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #4

You should write and take photos for a travel-guide. Honest truth.
Of course, we'd expect to get a pre-peek of them before they launhc and you'll have to bring a lap-top with modem so you're still in touch with us.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
07-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #5

Excellent photos Mags and a great write up on your stay!! I am glad you had a lovely time.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
07-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #6

Mags it looks like a very beautiful place and sounds as though you had a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
..but I would risk being banned by Az if I posted any pic of the 2 main ones.....as they were naturist islands!
Go on, I give you permission to post them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
07-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #7

OMG Az there was me thinking you were all sweet and innocent

Mags it looks wonderful there, very pretty. Makes you relaxed just looking at the pictures

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

Not somewhere I would have thought to visit, but it looks amazing and not too touristy - would definitely suit me! Amazing pictures. OH used to be a naturist so the islands would suit him too!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #9

What a beautiful location - and I'd probably be able to (just about) get by as the language is not miles away from Polish !!!

I'd heard Croatia was stunning and now I can see it is for myself I'm delighted you had a great holiday despite the initial hiccup.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #10

WOW Mags, wonderful pics, lucky you, can I see the nudey pics please? men only!
Dawn.