Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #11

Re: Moving and Groving?

Jac's post made me wonder: are your buses equipped for wheelchair users? All of ours are here in the City. It's amazing: the steps fold into a platform and lower so the person wheels on it, then it rises, and the person wheels to a special place where they can park the chair. It must make a teriffic difference to people being able to get around!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #12

Its car all the way for me.. but dont travel far. Have many short journeys to do in even shorter time, so need the car to nip about from home to school to work and then back again.... it is a timed and delicate procedure to be in the right place at the right time so cannot rely on public transport!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
10-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #13

DM some of them do. Not a lot of them and if your in a wheelchair I'm sure not enough.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Jac's post made me wonder: are your buses equipped for wheelchair users? All of ours are here in the City. It's amazing: the steps fold into a platform and lower so the person wheels on it, then it rises, and the person wheels to a special place where they can park the chair. It must make a teriffic difference to people being able to get around!
There are a few wheelchair access buses around Eileen and I think when the older ones are replaced, the new buses will have more access and consideration towards disabled people...

http://www.translink.co.uk/bustrainaccess.asp

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #15

Yes we have some of the low access ones, but although you can easily get a pushchair (stroller) on (I assume - never having done it), I'm not sure about wheelchairs. About time they did though, it would give wheelchair users much better access to the outside world!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #16

I drive to and from work, there are no buses covering the route. In fact, local public transport is pretty thin on the ground here. As we're in the commuter belt we have good train links to London and when we go up to town, that's the mode of transport we use.

I walk to the local shops for anything other than a large supermarket trolley-dash. I'm lucky as I have the doctor, chemist, vet, baker, post office and a small parade of shops all within walking distance. Unfortunately our doctors' surgery is going to move and it will be too far to walk there, so I'll have to use the car. I suspect that the local chemist will probably close once the surgery moves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
10-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #17

I used to only use the car because of difficulties walking and also I suffered from agoraphobia and I managed to get to the stage where the car was an extension of home so as long as I had it near me, I would be OK.

Happily I can walk much easier now and I am trying to get less dependant on the car.