Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #1

Why do people mis understand animals?

You know what I'm kind of on my high horse. Just before I got involved with boxer welfare there was an oldie placed with a family. It wasn't done how it is now and that is no exuse BUT. This wee girl was accused of biteing a child and nearly got PTS. Look at her now.

To people that dont know boxers, they are "mouthy" it's as if they talk to you. Some people take this as agression, another thing they do when they want attention they nibble you. A bit like children wanting attention. Anyway this wee girl is now enjoying her seniour years with a family that really love her and wish they ahd had her from a pup. Isnt a happy ending nice? Bless!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #2

Re: Why do people mis understand animals?

I remember that dog too, she was a lovely oldie, and really wouldn't hurt a fly, just glad she was returned to the rescue and put with a family that really cares for her...
It goes to show, how dangerous it can be, if someone doesn't know a breed!!

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #3

dito but she's doing brilliant now although she hates dogs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #4

I am so pleased all has worked out well for her in the end. I agree, people should really do their homework before taking on a breed. I always quiz my new puppy owners on their knowledge and experience of Labradors..

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #5

quite rightly so...........people say.........now we have the mix right that it's harder to get a welfare dog than a puppy. My answer to that is, that's why we have welfare. Most breeders in scotland only see the colour of your money (sadly, and we are talking well known in the show ring breeders) I'm so glad the laws are diffrent for kittens but why?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-06-2006, 11:32 PM   #6

Glad she had a happy ending.

Caleb still 'mouths' a lot, never hurts us and we do try and stop him but he is only a year old. I do worry that he will do it while out and somebody accuses him of biting them.

I agree that people need to have done their homework on a breed before considering owning one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
22-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #7

Totally agree with everything that has been said. Homework should be done on any breed. We have a disaster waiting to happen in our village. A lady in her sixties lost her old dog last year so her daughter in her infinite wisdom decided to buy her another dog. She has bought her a male, who will remain entire as the last one did, Japanese Akita. It is at present 8 months old has bitten already, regularly gets out the garden, has pulled her over and she is walking with a walking stick and he isn't fully grown yet. She is never going to be able to hold him back as she struggles now. Unfortunately it will be the dog who suffers in the end. How irresponsible can someone be???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
22-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #8

I think it happens with a lot of animals, not just dogs. I know people who think cats cannot be trained to any extent - because they expect them to be dogs instead of cats. I think it's due to the constraint of a popular paradigm involving, on one end of the spectrum, people who think cats are like dogs (or should be) and on the other end people who think cats are like people (or should be).

I'm so glad that girl got a new home. I love boxers, they're so loving and sweet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #9

I can asnwer the question in your title easily jac

Why do people misunderstnad animals?

AS already said, because they dont take the time to try and understand them!

Before I get any pet I reserach online, and with books from the library, and often ask my vets, about the type of animal, breed, character traits etc

Some people just don't bother and rush in to buy a pet without trying to udnerstnad it's behaviour.

Glad that this dog found a good home!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
23-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #10

Yep agree 100% with what everyone says....people just don't do the research.

Admittedly when I met my friends 13st rottie i was rather scared of him. He was massive and did nothing but sit infront of me and make growling noises. Not knowing much about rotties at the time I thought he was being aggressive. It turned out he was only telling me all his woe's and worries

It's like staffies playing....you hear 2 staffords playing and you'd swear WW3 had just broken out. Many a time we'd have to explain to passerby's and neighbours that they were only playing

It doesn't take much to research a breed, whether it be dog, cat, bird etc. With the majority of people using the internet information is readily available at the touch of a button.

I'm so glad that she's found a loving, understanding home to spend the rest of her days with. If only every story had such a happy ending