Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
28-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

Re: Cat just diagnosed with diabetes

Hi, Smudge was diagnosed last year and at first we panicked! She does have a measured amount of special food which we order online. She is injected twice a day and we use a vetpen which is very easy to use as you just 'dial' the dose. You may feel at first that you'll never be able to inject your cat and my hands used to shake but we have got it down to a fine art and to be honest most of the time she doesn't even notice.
She is well and active and seems happy. At nearly 15 she is still our 'best' hunter.
The hardest thing we've found is making sure she doesn't nick the other cats food. I'm now an expert cat juggler!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Non pedigree short hair
28-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

Hello Liz & thank you , that's very reassuring to hear x Especially the CP cat who wasn't supposed to live long.

We went and had our training session with the vet this evening, ( After Squiggles had been assessed there all day ) She behaved very well, & I've learnt how to give an insulin injection , she didn't even flinch

We've come home with a vet pen, a diary to keep & lots of other info to read.

She's got to go back for the day in a week, to have her blood sugar levels checked again.

We're not to change her diet for the first week, the vet wants to get her insulin dosage right to start with.

Hello cat's staff, thanks so much for your post . Smudge sounds a great credit to you & from what you say , she's doing really well

I used to work in a hospital & my husband was a dentist, so we're not to nervous when it comes to injections .

Can we post pics on here ?

Thanks everybody for all the support I've had here *HUGS*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

Glad things have started off well and fingers crossed, will continue that way.

Yes, we do pictures here and love them. You will find instructions on how to here: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

I look forward to seeing Squiggles!

Catsey Junior

28-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #14

Thanks Angieh, we managed to give Squiggles her first insulin injection this evening without mishap ! Here's the little monster

Catsey Veteran

29-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

She looks a proper poppet ........ does she allow tummy rubs? If so, please give her one from me!

Catsey Junior

29-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #16

Thanks angieh xx no she doesn't she'd have your fingers off

Catsey Junior

29-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #17

I made a bit of a mess of things this morning as even with OH holding her Squiggles wouldn't stop wriggling ! I only managed to get half the dose in I had to go to the vets to pick up a sharps box & my vet said not to worry too much about it.

Catsey Veteran

29-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #18

Shame about the tummy rubs but my old boy Merlin was the same but he had such a lovely inviting spotty tum, ah well. Your Squiggles does look rather like my dear Smudge, who although she hated being stroked, cuddled or picked up would curl her claws around my finger and sort of hold it. Made me feel very honoured. Fond memories.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
29-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynRich
I made a bit of a mess of things this morning as even with OH holding her Squiggles wouldn't stop wriggling ! I only managed to get half the dose in I had to go to the vets to pick up a sharps box & my vet said not to worry too much about it.
I remember similar struggles but you'll all get used to it fairly quickly. It doesn't take 2 of us any more. I find the trick is to be firm picking up the bit of the scruff of the neck you are going to inject. We still occasionally get days where for some reason the full dose doesn't go in but our vet says not to worry.

Squiggles looks to be a character!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
29-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #20

Love Squiggles' white bikini, she's gorgeous. Our Sid had 2 white bits but they were his 'two piece'.