Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

Migraines

General question i thought you might be able to help with. Just recently been told by my doctor that the shooting pain in the side of my head and the tenderness on the side of my head is due to migraines. He has told me to use Ibuprofen when i feel the sharp pain.

My question is to fellow migraine sufferers, what do you do to ease them?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Migraines

sorry to hear about your migraine Pamela, i don't suffer from it although i do get headaches from time to time.
For general headache i use extra strength tablets with asprin, paracetamol and cafiene. I find a cold cloth on my forehead helpful sometimes.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

im sitting with a hotwater bottle at the side of my head just now. Generally works. I have 400mg ibuprofen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

Hope you're feeling better soon x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
30-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #5

A friend of mine gets bad debilitating migraines. She uses patches of cool gel that she keeps in the fridge. When visiting her I got bad sunstroke and they worked a treat. Also my step dad puts his feet in a bowl of warm water when he gets one, that works too.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecto's mum
A friend of mine gets bad debilitating migraines. She uses patches of cool gel that she keeps in the fridge. When visiting her I got bad sunstroke and they worked a treat. Also my step dad puts his feet in a bowl of warm water when he gets one, that works too.
one of my friends told me about doing this. Will need to try it. Its not headache migraines i get its a sharp shooting pain at the side of my head which makes my head tender.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
31-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Pamela,I used to get migraines when I was younger but not now. I was given Imigran, which is specifically for migraines and works a treat. I also went to a medical herbalist who advised me to take magnesium/potassium- one tablet a day, which I found stopped the jolly migraines. You can buy KMag capsules from a health shop. My eldest daughter, Brenna, had a patient recently who swears by wearing a baby's amber teething necklace (adult size) in order to prevent migraines. I do know that wearing an amber necklace relieves sinus infections because I wear one. Can't vouch for migraines though. Hope that you find some relief. Migraines are horrible.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two rescues and one feral
29-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #8

Mine are rare but very severe with vomiting which makes taking pain relief impossible. Last winter ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance as was bringing up blood.

Needs injections to stop them but I now have nasal imigran to try.

I already take codeine for other pain but nothing touches the migraine pain.

Going without food is a trigger; worth finding out what the trigger to yours is.

Only had three in the last year and one was because of pre surgery fasting o am getting better at evading and avoiding in the early stages.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #9

I used to be tortured with them until I started treatment for high blood pressure now its rare for me to even have a headache

Hope you feel better soon, theyre very debilitating

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
04-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

My migraines aren't that bad. But bad enough to be hide under the blankets. I'm sensitive to light and loud noises when i have migraine. I use cold gel patches on my head and coca cola. No pain killers. Ubiprofen makes me feel incredibly sleepy.