Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
15-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #1

SLR camera.

I have been looking at this for a while but still unsure of what to get. Can anyone recommend one? I need something that is easy and light to use. What is photoshop?

I have been looking at the Nikon D40X

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
15-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #2

Re: SLR camera.

Have you looked on Yo Photographer yet? There is lots of advice on there about buying a DSLR

Photoshop is one of the many programs you can use to edit your photos.

http://www.yophotographer.com/photography-forums.php

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #3

Photoshop is probably one of the best image manipulation packages. It's used by professionals and is quite complex. They do a 'lite' version for home use, but if you're competent on the PC you should be able to manage the full version.

I have a Canon EOS 30D (I think that's what number it is); bought it off a member here. It's SUCH a brilliant camera My step-daughter who is studying photography has the latest model EOS (over a grand's worth) and she raves about it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: All types
mattde is Male
15-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #4

I'm a Nikon user , D40x is a nice camera, camera body's are not very that important, its all about the lens's . go to jessops and have a feel / play with both canon and nikon bodys to see what you prefer.
I would say don't buy photoshop , get lightroom its far better and much easier to use. I used to use photoshop for everything , now lightroom does everything i need for processing photos.

Catsey Senior

19-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #5

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to have a look this week and research between photoshop and lightroom too.

My digital camera isn't upto the job of filming moving objects such as the kids and animals.

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
19-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
Thanks for your advice. I'm going to have a look this week and research between photoshop and lightroom too.

My digital camera isn't upto the job of filming moving objects such as the kids and animals.
You wont go far wrong with both photoshop and lightroom.

When you say filming moving object do you mean video?
Not all the new SLR's have the video option. Mine does and to be honest have only used it a couple times. If you want video I would go for a basic video camera and keep the SLR for quality photography.
Lots of good deals on SLR's at the moment, let me know where your going to buy it from?

18-55mm kit lens is a fairly good lens, good for general stuff from landscapes to portrait work.

another good lens i use a lot is

Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF Lens about the cheapest lens you can buy @ £75- £85 , good lens for portrait work, indoor photography and travel photography.

good luck with your SLR choice.

Catsey Senior

19-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

I have purchased a Canon EOS1000D

It was on special offer in my catalogue and as I have money on the account I have used it to purchase that one. I did some research on it and it looks to do the job for what I want anyway. Will I need separate lenses? Only want to start off doing basics such a family pictures and lots of the animals.

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
19-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie
I have purchased a Canon EOS1000D

It was on special offer in my catalogue and as I have money on the account I have used it to purchase that one. I did some research on it and it looks to do the job for what I want anyway. Will I need separate lenses? Only want to start off doing basics such a family pictures and lots of the animals.
cool , nice camera.

Does it come with 18 - 55mm lens?

Catsey Senior

19-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

No it doesn't. So I now need help on lenses lol. I'm hopeless on this sort of thing. I was tempted with the EOS450 but price won in the end.

HELP!!!!!

Catsey Senior

mattde is Male
19-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #10

If it does come with the kit lens 18-55mm I think you should stick to that lens till you have learnt how to use the camera.

Next step is get a good book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Lanter...2355852&sr=1-5

And once you have read it turn the camera off auto mode and you will soon lean to be more creative with your camera and start to use all those features you have paid for.

also a UV filter for the lens to help protect the glass from finger prints and dust would be a good buy.