Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
26-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #81

Re: Teddie very bad again

Sorry to hear that I am not sure what to suggest apart fomr trying the prescription diet again as whether it is ideal long term or not any food that doesn't cause diarrhoea is better than one that does.

I would love to say that the sensitity control work great for cats with IBD but Tilly is sulking and not eating!! Anything I find that works I will tell you.

Mean time a big hugs for you

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #82

Did you ring round the vets Alex? or ask Dawn about her vets - I am so sorry she is poorly again.

Fran what did your vet do??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #83

Its frustrating from my end no wonder you are getting so upset

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #84

I will keep feeding her the chicken until I can get her to the vets. I will phone the vets tomorrow and ask about having the metronidazole prescribed for her again, and see if that can help clear things up.

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #85

I didn't have much of a chance today Kazz to ring vets, things kind of fell apart here. I did phone a couple of the PDSA petaid practices, but all of them will only register her with them after a vet check, and only one doesn't charge for that.

I know that many people on the board will be annoyed with me because I can't take Teddie to the vet when she's like this, but I simply can't afford to! I have spent much more than I've been able to afford on her up to now, and we're no nearer any sort of diagnosis. I can't get insurance on her either, I can't get her registered with the PDSA because of this bloody vet check system, and there isn't one of their hospitals in this area which I could just walk into if I was elsewhere. And I know there are those who are thinking, well, if you cant afford vet fees then don't have pets. I have always had my pets looked after by vets and managed to have them treated, but Teddie is a different matter. I had no idea that this was going to occur! I'm very upset right now because I feel like I'm failing her, I dont want to give her up, tbh i dont think I could, but I have no idea what to do anymore. I'm sorry for ranting on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
26-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #86

Alex I would continue to feed her the chicken, give her tummy a chance to settle itself down again, I think by keep swapping her food all the time and then starving her isn't really working. Giver her tummy a CHANCE to get use to the chicken, which could mean weeks rather than days/hours. I could understand if processed tinned food (even for a special diet) would upset her but surely chicken should be ok??

How is she in herself today? does she seem quite bright?

Hugs to you Alex, I know you are finding this very difficult.

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #87

She has been quite bright most of the day actually! Carrying on round my feet everytime I went into the kitchen, begging for food. I didn't give her the chicken all at once, I spread it out throughout the day in the hope she could process it better. When I spoke to the butcher this morning he said all his cats were fed their food raw, but I did cook Teddies!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
26-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #88

I would do the same Alex and cook the chicken for Teddie.

Good to hear she is still quite bright.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Fran what did your vet do??
Well, it was a little different with Porsha because she became dehydrated and very unwell so she was taken in to be hydrated on a drip. She was fed the Royal Canin sensitive pouches and dry food because Hills doesn't suit Porsha (what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another) and she was given antibiotics, promax, pain killers for the stomach cramps, something for the gas in her tummy and stool samples and blood tests were taken. All the tests were negative but my vet felt sure it was a reoccurance of the Giardia even though it didn't show up in the tests as it can be difficult to find often. So she decided to put her on Metronidazole an antibiotic as it is the best one apparantly for problems of this nature and it has some agent in it which helps sooth the inflammed guts and we haven't looked back since, touch wood. My vet feels Porsha isn't food intolerant but she says long term inflammed gut problems could make her food intolerant in the future so she was keen to settle her bowels asap

I really feel for you Alex, I have been there feeling that despair that you feel right now. I guess I'm lucky that Porsha is insured so cost isn't an issue and even if it was my vets would accept a payment plan. I also get a substantial discount with having so many pets registered with them so that help too. I really hope you can find an answer for Teddie. I can never rest with Porsha, it's like I'm waiting for the next 'attack'

Catsey Veteran

26-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #90

If I could find a vet willing to do a payment plan I would have them run everytest going on her.