Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #41

Re: CRF - anyone?

Thanx Kazz, that is very good to hear.
It will be 2 years come next March since Winston was diagnosed. My old vet always made me feel like the end was at hand for my old boy. He always spoke very negatively and appologetically, partly why I changed vets as it was always just so upsetting.
I am thinking that the attitude you have, one I am begining to take, might be the best way.
The CRF group are now telling me his pottassium levels are too low and his calcium is too high, more supplements etc.
I dont want to spend all my time with Winston shoving pills and supplements down his throat, so to speek.
Its just all getting too much. I know they all mean well and know what they are talking about but I want Winstons days to be happy ones and relaxed.

Give your two babes a big cuddle from their new aunty Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #42

Hi Auntie Elaine

This is Cleo taken just a few weeks ago.

This is Oscar takena month ago following his first steriod" jab for Arthritis.

And as they were as babies.

The attitude is one I have come to decide is right for me I like you did not want to spend all my time putting tablets into him - sometimes I got the feeling purely my own opinion here that the "condition tok over from the cat" without meaning to sound harsh I think they become caught up with trying to mantain a good level instead of enoying the time they have and letting nature take its course.

Oscar and now Cleo spend every day happily and healthily (bearing in mind their age). As you can see,

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #43

Oscar and Cleo are certainly looking very well Kazz! you would not realise at all that they were both 23 years of age Well done you for looking after them so well....you are obviously doing something right

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #44

http://photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/?start=0
You can find pics of Winston and Eva here.

Your babes look beautifull. They really do look fantastic for their age.
Unfortunately Winston has out lived his long term partners.
Mutley, his brother, was blind from birth and sadly died at the age of 5. Then I rescued Woody from a life of abuse, he was sadly put to sleep a few months after Winston was diagnosed. Poor Woody had a tumor on his liver and developed Hepatic Lipidosis. He went down hill very fast and we just couldnt get him back up. Now Winston has the beautiful Eva but he doesnt have the energy for her, bless him.

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #45

Well I have to tell you Winston looks great to me a smashing colour too. And I am grateful for the fact Oscar and Cleo hav each other they may not legally be brother and sister but they were found in the same black bin liner in a rubbish bin so I figure thats as close as they could get. They get on the majority of the time Oscar always deffering to Cleo she is a bosy little 'en.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2005, 10:48 PM   #46

Thanx again Karen. You have helped me make a few descisions as to where i go from here. Firstly I feel I have to mend some bridges and re-gain trust in vets and hopefully my new vet will help me with that. Am thinking about making an appointment with her and without Winston to discuss my feelings and any possible treatment plans for my old boy.
Think I am gonna stay away from the support group for a while anyway. Its not that they havent been helpfull coz they have been great. Its just that all the info etc is overwhelming and I am not medically minded enough to take it all in.
Am gonna take each day as it comes and spend my time cuddling and playing with my babies instead of trying to get through all the countless pages of info on crf.
As you said no one knows him better than me and I will always strive to do what is right by him.
Got to go now and give him his night time feed as I can hear him crying by the food bowl.
Thanx again and hope to talk to you very soon.

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #47

Elaine I "know and understand" the position you are in and the support group were great to me allowing me to realise there is life after the diagnosis which was hard to understand at first but there is so much "info" to take in I was knocked back by it all. But decided to "treat" Oscar as Oscar not as the cat with CRF who is Oscar - does that make sense.
He is 2 years down the line and fine as you can see from the picture; not saying he or now Cleo won't go downhill with it but facing cold hard facts (which is horrible after all these years together isn't it ) they can't live forever and what time we do have I intend to let them be themselves. So far "touch wood" it has worked it may not for everyone but I am settled in my heart and soul that I will have done my best for them - and they will have lived a life thats enjoyable and worth living.

And I think going and making an appointment with the vet without Winston is a brilliant idea. When I used to take Oscar I'd get emotional before anyone spoke,without him there it was easier to talk about him. Make a list of what you want to ask I did that and wrote down the answers too because I am a proper "thicko" I also said to the vet "I am not a vet so talk in English to me" and it worked.
I wrote the list out for about a week before I went - so I had everything I wanted to ask I wrote down questions on a daily/hourly basis, then worked though the list.
A couple of days before my appointment I took a couple of printouts too regarding sub q fluids etc and left them for the vet to look through. Before I got there that worked too, as a lot of vets don't have extensive knowldege on such things and wanted to give them a lot of time to understand and brush up

Anyhow let me know what you vet says. I will PM you my mobile number tomorrow (I can never remember it ) and my email address adn you can ring/email me anytime CRF is not easy but it does not have to be the end of our world.

Karen

Karen

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #48

Everything you have said is just so true.
Winston was playfull last night but wasnt eating an awful lot and was sick early this morning.
He has eaten a little better today.
Some days, not often, he is like this but tends to pick up again quite quickly. I am also aware that this is part of the condition too but I dont like it when he feels a little sick, I sympathise with him coz I dont like feeling unwell myself.
Does your cats do this on occasion too?
When your cats feel a little iky, is there anything you do to try to help?
You have done very well with your two babes, they look wonderfull.
I look forward to recieving your pm later.
Thanx again.

Catsey Veteran

28-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #49

Oscar goes through spates like that - but touch wood not had one for a while now. A good couple of months actually. He is slower but thats down to age as well as the illness - there was nothing I could do really I tried the slippery elm and made sure he had sufficent (loads actually) of fresh water around and hoped for the best luckily we have not had a crisis yet where either have refused to eat etc etc etc.

I always make sure they have somewhere to go to like the bedroom which you'll never believe this but its true. I brought another bedroom door a cheapish one and cut a hole in the corner so then can get into the bedroom with the door shut. Because I have two Staffies too the cat likes to just lie alone sometimes. Hence the bedroom door, at times Oscar and now Cleo like to be quiet.

Other than that I do nothing different at all but make sure they eat small meals - very very often every couple of hours and when its freshly put
down they love it whatever it is. Therefore eating little and often.

But Winston sounds fine to me, asI say you and I can only dowhat we can and must remember out cats are not youngsters fighting this disease - and lots of cats dont make it as long as ours have.

Take care Karen

Catsey Veteran

31-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #50

Just for the last couple of days I have stopped giving Winston the slippery elm bark. Reason being he ran and hid from me when he saw the syringe. Winston has always trusted me with anything and everything I do so it made me feel bad that he wanted to hide from me. Decided to give him a little break and regain trust.
Thing is, today he hasnt eaten as much as normal and is lip smacking alot. Thinking I should start the SEB again.
Wandered if you had any tips on how to make it a bit easier on him. I do give him hugs and treats after meds etc.