Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic short hair
28-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #41

Re: My Kitty may have the beginnings of kidney failure. Sorry for this long post.

Good news about Kitty so far but i need some advice about her arthritis.

Blood tests are all within normal limits, TF4 is perfect. They tested her urine at the surgery and thats fine too, but

but he wanted to do a Protein/Creatinine Ratio test on the urine as well, so the results for that part
wont be back till Monday.

HOWEVER, Kitty has arthritis, the old vet i was with started her on a glucasomine suppliment called Seraquin 8 weeks ago, she is moving alot better
but still a little stiff. My NEW VET says the seraquin is not working cos she is still stiff (but he never saw her before!). Anyway,
he said that if her kidneys are all fine (depending on Protein/Creatinine Ratio test on the urine) then he wants to
put her on Metacam. Well Ive heard all sorts of horror stories about Metacam, but he said that it was the quality of life
that counted not the quantity.

BUT In saying that tho, If ive been this lucky with her, why compramise her Kidneys now? I told him she may be a bit stiff but she doesnt seem in any pain.
and he said that cats dont show pain like we do and they hide ailments well. I told him she doesnt jump fences anymore but neither would i at my age!(39)
He said he would do regular blood tests on when on the metacam (tests to be done 3 times a year) BUT surely once CRF has set in, the kidneys
dont repair themselves do they?

Is there not an alternative to metacam in the UK? as there is no way im agreeing to risk her getting with CRF!!

The only thing i will say about this new vet, he is a bit rough with her which i dislike cos she wont co-operate unless they are gentle with her.

Love and light.

Jackie, Kitty and Angel Tuppence. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #42

Re: My Kitty may have the beginnings of kidney failure. Sorry for this long post.

Hmm tricky one. I wouldnt want to use metacam either due to it compromising the kidneys even further. My old boy Winston was on prednisolone for spondilosis. He was put on those by the old vet, second vet didnt change it but third vet questioned it but as he had been on them so long and given his age at that time we decided it may do him more harm than good to take him off them. Not sure but they may have played a part in the progression of his CRF.
The kidneys are not repairable but the creatinine and urea levels are variable, meaning that if these numbers can be reduced by treatment/diet this may reduce the progression of CRF.
There is also a CRF support group on yahoo which may be more knowledgable with regards to how best to treat the arthritis with damage limitation.
Would you like me to pm you the link?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
28-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #43

I have no experience with metacam, but Tinker is quite arthritic (I guess it is to be exptected at 19). She was having trouble getting upstairs until we put her on cortaflex. She can now zoom up the stairs.

Catsey Junior

28-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #44

Well Kitty is on Seraquin, its ok but i would like to try something better, where did you get the cortaflex from please?

For Elaine: I am a memeber of the CRF on yahoo and the geriatric yahoo group. And they have all warned me about metacam! dont think i will be risking this.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
29-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmadjax
where did you get the cortaflex from please?
We get it from VetUK
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...du cts_id=382

Might be best to check with people who know about CRF first though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
29-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #46

Sorry but am I just being dense? Doesn't Kitty's test results indicate she doesn't have CRF?

Catsey Veteran

29-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
Sorry but am I just being dense? Doesn't Kitty's test results indicate she doesn't have CRF?
Sorry, I'm a little confused now. Is Kitty in early stages of CRF? Think I have missed a post or something.

Catsey Junior

29-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #48

hi, Kitty's blood results indicate that she does not have CRF. BUT the results of the protein in her urine sample wont be back until next Monday, ( they have to send some of the urine away for this) with the bloods and urine results combined, then we will know if she is in the very early stages of CRF, thats why the vet wanted to wait for these results before perscribing the metacam.

The Cortaflex wont compromise her kidneys, its a natural suppliment similar to that of the seraquin she is taking at the moment for her arthritis. BUT Cortaflex is different in that it makes the body produce the fluid in between the joints AND rebuilds the glucasamine etc, where as the Seraquin is just for rebuilding the glucasamine. Thats what it says on the net anyway. So i would rather give this a try before any nasty drugs.

Sorry, i want clear about the results in the last post.

Catsey Veteran

29-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #49

Ok thanx.
It does make me question loads about your last vet though. Does your new vet have the notes from the old vet? Would be interesting to know what they were on about coz CRF doesnt just disapear.

Catsey Junior

29-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #50

Hi Elaine, yes they asked for copies and they faxed them over apparently. If when the urine results come back, it shows she does have early stages of CRF, the **** (excuse the word) will hit the fan, i will be lodging an official complaint about them. I have to confess tho, this new vet is ok, especially when i visited the surgery, but when it came to him handling kitty, i wasnt too happy he was rough and upset her. He wants me to go back in the new year and have her blood pressure took (she could have hypertension) and i think i will request to see the lady vet for that, i will just use the excuse that i havent met her yet lol!