Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #31

Re: GCCF code of ethics - buying a new kitten

I got Casper at 8weeks, he has always been very healthy and never had any problems whatsoever, got Oliver at 12, he had behaviour problems, sticky eyes, runny tum the lot...He is still a jekyl & Hide, will lash out as quick as look at you sometimes...I have had Siamese for 20 years, and never up till now had a problem with any, Oliver was older than any of my previous kittens when he came to me...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #32

Good and bad in everything.........do the benefits of getting your kittens older, outweigh the negatives.....or would they be that way anyhow...hard to say I imagine....although my choice would be to get a kitten a little younger however if I trusted the breeder I was buying from then would be happy to coply with the 13 weeks...well no choice but to comply if that is the guidelines...can't think of another word other than that though.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
15-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #33

I have always followed the advice from the vet nurse/behaviourist at my vets....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
15-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Firstly, Porsha doesn't have any genetic problems and yes I had her a 13 weeks old but she was a sickly kitten, nothing to do with genetics, she was poorly grown kitten with bad diarrhoea issues that if you remember turned out to be Giardia.

I wasn't referring to specific gentic problems individually or within my breed alone. Merely pointing out that things like heart murmours can take a while to be detected. That is just one example, of course there are many other gentic problems arising too. Yes there are genetic problems in every breed. A lot of them have no specific tests available.

running stock on brings a whole different dimension to the thread doesn't it? because if we are saying puppies and kittens should be in their new homes at 7/8 weeks of age then is it ethical to run on stock only to re-home at a ater date if it doesn't make the grade. Surely that then is not in the best interests of the pup/kitten?

At the end of the day, you can argue this until you are blue in the face but the fact remans that an ethical breeder will register their kittens. To register kittens with the GCCF (the governing body of the cat fancy) then you have to abide by their rules and regulations and those are that the kittens should not be re-homed before 13 weeks of age and should be health checked and fully vaccinated..

What ages where your pedigree cats Dawn when took them home?
My Cats were 5mths, 12 weeks and 4 and a half months (from memory with Wiggs) The kitten that was best at adjusting was Moosey, the YOUNGEST! Strengthens my point and my way of thinking.

Re running a kitten or puppy on, no I dont think its in their best interest at all, but some people to buy kittens dont they and then sell them on, if they dont come up to scratch for whatever reason, maybe those would be the best people to address that point! Me, if I buy them, they stay, dog cat or anything else I dont believe in passing animals on to suit myself, a lot of people do that too. they get driven by greed and a lust for winning, the day I get like that Ill hang myself!

Nobody has said that registering the kitten is a bad thing, what some folk are making out is that just because they do it means they are ethical and responsible breeders which is absolute rubbish!! Kitten "farming" and puppy farming usually does mean the animals are registered, doesnt make them ethical though does it. Just have a beak at the accredited breeder scheme, you'll find the way it reads appears to say the more you breed, the further up the ladder you get!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
15-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #35

This is the code of ethics from the British Chihuahua Club, and I, when I bred Chi's, and all the breeders I still know, many of whom are judges, abide by these ethics. Obviously the breeders you know do not.

Code of Ethics
OBJECTS
To promote interest in and to encourage the breeding and exhibiting of Chihuahuas; to maintain a high standard in the breed by following the description, as laid down in the official standard adopted by The Kennel Club; to assist members to co-operate in the best interests of the breed.
CODE OF ETHICS
Membership of the Club shall imply acceptance of the Club's Code of Ethics:
  1. Members shall not mate any bitch that is less than 12 calendar months of age.
  2. Members shall not mate a bitch aged more than 8 years of age.
  3. Members shall not mate a bitch after it has had 6 litters.
  4. Members shall not sell, or allow to leave their premises, puppies which are less than 12 weeks of age.
  5. Members shall not have more than two cęsarian sections on any one bitch and these must not be on two consecutive seasons.
  6. Members shall not mate any bitch for more than two consecutive seasons.
  7. Members shall always give dietary advice when selling a Chihuahua.
  8. Dogs should always be sold to final owners, never knowingly to dealers or agents.
  9. Follow-up advice should always be given to new owners.
  10. No member shall knowingly abandon any dog, bitch or puppy.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #36

1. Quote:
    Members shall not mate a bitch after it has had 6 litters.
  2. Quote:
    Members shall not have more than two cęsarian sections on any one bitch and these must not be on two consecutive seasons.
Bloody hell Kay, I am glad they dont!!!

Actually you are correct, they dont follow those "guidelines" and thankfully they dont or god help their poor Dogs, you see there it is again, GREED!!!! Oh an by the way somebody "high up" in the Chi world recently sold a pup to my friend, 8wks old it was too Doing rather well in the ring, nice pup.

re the second point, strange that and very contradictaory that the Chi club would go AGAINST KC recommendations for mating bitches, which states no 2 litters in 12mths!! I know what Id rather stick by on this occasion kay.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #37

Perhaps she isn't a member of the British Chi Club or doesn't care about such ethics. Could be down to getting the money from a pup so much earlier and having nothing else to pay out for the pup. As you say Dawn all down to greed.

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #38

The kennel club have revised their policy on small breeds and they can be mated twice a year due to the small litters, high incidence of c-sections and also very high incidence of new born fatalities.

I am not going to say any more in this thread as Fran only started it to show the GCCF guidelines which every breeder who has a GCCF registered prefix has to abide by. When you apply for your prefix you sign to say you will abide by the guidelines. If a breeder isn't happy with this then they shouldn't apply for a prefix or register their kittens with the GCCF. Of course a prefix, even a GCCF admin prefix makes the kitten a registered cat so in the eyes of those greedy breeders this equals ££££££££ and by not abiding to the guidelines that they said they would they also increase the £££££££££. Something that breeders on here seem to get slated for.

As I said this is my last post in this thread as it is getting stupid and way off track but I am sure that Dawn will have the last word as she usually does.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #39

Please can I have the last word ....................as I have read the thread with much interest.... its a little like walking over quicksand while dodging friendly fire....sometimes posting on a thread regarding breeding on this site.
And amusing watching who "agree's" with whom.....what I would like to ask is what happens to a person who does not adhere to GCCF guidelines? And who is to say that person is breeding in the best interest of their breed....and most of all their own animals....?

Karen

Edited for spelling error.....Duh my own name...

Catsey Veteran

15-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #40

Quote:
As I said this is my last post in this thread as it is getting stupid and way off track but I am sure that Dawn will have the last word as she usually does.
Typical response, please Kay, just because somebody isnt following you, dont throw your toys out of the pram, you might break them!

The thread is NOT way off track, its just you dont like being disagreed with, I read catsey all the time but rarely post due to the nature of much of its content, but when you get people such as yourself who breed a fair bit, promoting the GCCF as some sort of religion, its a bit pathetic to read, and very misleading to newcomers who dont know any better. The GCCF is a registration organisation and little more, NOBODY (for the second time) has said any is wrong with registering kittens and ANY responsible breeder would anyway, but it does NOT make for an ethical breeder nor one who's policies on rehoming is right or wrong. You tell me Kay, if the kitten is homed at 8 weeks what does the GCCF do about it? Nothing! they still register the kittens and subsequent kittens too, its pretty rare they refuse, they are a business and there to make money.

Now