Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #31

Re: Cat Behaviourist coming to see Bernard....

Its 10am now. Hope all is going well Charlie. Another hour to go..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #32

Haha - thanks Jac!!

Yes, she has been and gone and done her stuff. She was really, really nice and had some great suggestions. Now the real test will be trying them out.

She said that my set up here is wonderful and the cats couldn't ask for anything more. She loved the enclosed garden and said that she wished she'd brought her camera to take photos to show other clients what they could be doing to make their cats' lives wonderful

She basically said that she doesn't think it is an anxiety issue any more. It probably was an anxiety problem to start with when we moved house, but now it is more of a bad habit that Bernard has learned.

She thinks that perhaps the 2 nights he spent in the cattery while I moved changed his perspective on his relationships with me and with the other cats. He (apparently) has now realised how much he needs and loves me, and how he has me wrapped around his little paw, and he's taking advantage of that. He knows now that when he cries I will pick him up/cuddle/comfort/feed him (anything to get him to be quiet really!!). So, it's a learnt behaviour we now need to un-learn.

I am going to shut him in the kitchen at night with access to the outside, food, water, a bed etc. I am also going to change the feeding routein and feed them last thing at night before I go to bed. I'm going to feed him more of a raw diet too, as he likes that and it should keep him occupied for longer! Finally, I'm going to get another Feliway for the kitchen.

We're going to try this for a couple of weeks and see how we go and then I have to report back to her!

Fingers crossed.

(Alex, I asked her about her TV filming and it was for BB1's Inside Out. It was about dangerous dogs and will be shown in October.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #33

I'm glad your feeling more possitive Charlie. Lets hope she's hit the nail on the head. Would some bachs rescue help in his water?
All paws crossed here for you. I hope her advice works. Keep us posted please.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
03-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #34

she sounds really good! It all makes total sense what she said - hopefully this will help loads

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #35

She sounds really helpful Charlie and you are sounding much more positive about things too! Do let us know how it all goes. What did she say in relation to Red coming?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #36

Tuff-love for our Bernard then? Hope it does the trick CB

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
03-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
She sounds really helpful Charlie and you are sounding much more positive about things too! Do let us know how it all goes. What did she say in relation to Red coming?
She wasn't too worried about Red coming, as it now seems that he's not anxious/stressed like I thought

She thinks that as long as we all have a routine to stick to that should be fine. I'll introduce Red to the girls first though and take it very slowly with Bernard, just to be safe!!

I've been and got another Feliway this afternoon, so there is now one upstairs and one downstairs, so hopefully that will help them all with Red's arrival too.

I do feel much more positive about things with Bernard and I'm pleased that it's just because he loves me!!! lol

Tough love is what's in order, but it kind of seems more acceptable now that she's told me that's what I have to do. I don't feel like I'm just being mean

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #38

I'm impressed! Those all sound like excellent ideas; funny how something you never thought of can seem so obvious when it's pointed out: he's trained you! Lots of luck with the new routine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #39

She sounds great Charlie (and I'll keep an eye out for the programme lol). I really hope that Bernard responds quickly to his new regime! Fingers crossed for you both!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #40

Good to hear you sounding more possitive. Good luck xxx