Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #31

Re: My niece!

Thank you Eileen that would be very much appreciated! My niece is a very troubled young lady. On one hand she can be so loving, then in the blink of an eye, she changes and becomes uncontrollable. But that is the nature of some mental health problems, and why no-one will do a complete psychaitric evaluation onher is utterly beyond me. Their 'answer' is to put her in a group setting once a week to observe her! What on earth will that accomplish? I don't think she would actually harm her baby sister, but she has physically assaulted my SIL and threatened her with a knife, also threatened suicide too. How on earth could her mum cope with that with a baby in the house. I mean, trained professionals can't handle her, so why do they expect her mum too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #32

Sounds to me as if they're just trying to avoid responsibility and shuffling her around in the hope that the situation will go away or resolve itself somehow..are they waiting for a tragedy before something is done! It makes me so mad......your poor niece needs to be in a psychiatric setting with one-on-one counseling and medication!! Do they think she's just going to get all better by herself? It's almost unbelievable .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
13-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #33

ive only just caught up with this,i cant believe what going on here.its awful and im so sorry your family is having to go through this.I work with young adults and adults with mental health problems and i know how unpredictable it can be,sending lots of love and well wishes your way xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
13-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #34

Love and ((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #35

Alex - I've been churning this over and over in my mind. Haven't come up with an answer of course but I'm trying to think of organisations which might be able to offer support and advice (and a big stick if that is what is required eventually). So, I remembered MIND, which campaigns on mental health issues, and I've found this link which is specific to Scotland and to young people http://www.headsupscotland.co.uk/vsf.html Even if it's not the absolute best place it should be able to point you to the correct one. In the meantime just tell your family not to give up and not to accept being pushed about. Thinking of you all.

Edit. here's another link with lots and lots of contacts. Somebody there must be able to help http://www.seemescotland.org.uk/links/index.php

Cats owned: 2 Black Beauties
14-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #36

Alex, i too have been attacked by my then 14yr old daughter 3 yrs ago now and i know how traumatic it is. Please send your sister in law my best wishes and love
tell her to stay strong.(its not easy) I hope and pray for a good outcome for the
whole family .