Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #31

Re: Alex - how's Teddie?

Right Alex Fingers crossed it's a temporary glitch x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #32

Let's hope that in time, when her tummy adjusts to the JW, things will be normal......

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
07-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #33

Aww, fingers crossed this is just a temporary blip.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #34

The canikur granules appear to be helping her, but I'm seriously considering taking her off of dry food altogether as I think it's this that is upsetting her tummy (although the vet says this isn't possible!). On the HiLife and the fish she was fine, but as soon as I give her dry food she starts to get the tummy troubles. She was fine on the i/d too, again a wet food. Has anyone else had a cat that has had trouble with dry food, and what do you guys think I should do?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #35

Personally all my 3 are fine. But I have heard that it is relatively common for dry food to irritate the stomach lining and cause problems. For your vet to say that isn't possible is a bit hasty therefore, So it could be that - worth trying it don't you think?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #36

Mmm, I've said before that I'd stick to plain fish for a month. But I have the luxury of a lifestyle/family/etc where that would be relatively easy.
I've been there and done that with children and relative lack of cash (plus pressure on time) so I fully understand your wish to get all your felines on the same regime Alex.

If you want to try another mainstream dry foodhave you thought of Burns? Yet another food! They're good at answering email queries, as best they can. http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
07-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #37

It could be the dry - JWB isn't supposed to, with being hypoallergenic, but cats can have allergies to rice, or it could be the flavour of it, as cats can have allergies to certain meats. I would try wet food and see if she is any better, and I really dont think much of your vet!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #38

I think you should go with your intuition...you know her very well...and stick with the moist food for a while...can't hurt ..... anyhow, fingers crossed for you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #39

Right that does it, my vet is out the window. I'm sick of him not telling me things and then coming on here to find out otherwise!! The reason I took her off the fish DM, was speaking to my vet (him of the vast knowledge), and him not wanting to keep her on the fish as she couldn't be on it forever! I spoke to another friend today who said that she had a cat that only had white fish the whole of it's life as it's stomach couldn't tolerate anything else, and it lived to the age of 12!! So I think it's back onto the white fish for her tomorrow and on that for the month DM suggests, then slowly introduce a wet food to her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #40

I really wouldn't know how to advise you Alex, except to say that I would be inclined to stick to the fish for a while and let her guts totally settle and recover. I think if I were then going to try a dry diet in the future then I would be inclined to go for one of the more premium ones like as DM has suggested the Burns diet and would stick to chicken/white fish varieties and avoid anything that has the darker/richer meats in. I really hope you finally manage to get this sorted out Alex x