Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #21

Re: My Bengal Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokytopaz
I am going to do nothing at the moment, it is early days. I think the striking difference in their behaviour is getting to me. I am at the computor now with the door closed and she is wandering about, she just climbed and sat on the seat I was sitting on, but try and touch her and she is gone. I can force her into contact but she cowers for a while before she starts to gently purr.

After four months you would think she would know I am not going to hurt her. As far as I know she has never been hurt. Been made to do things she didn't want, but not hurt.

And no, she is truly not a candidate for rehoming, she would hate it.
I think that hanging in there and being patient a little bit longer is the best thing to do, from what you have said considering what a stressy nervous cats she is any way I think she sounds like she is doing really well with the new arrival she at least hasn`t viciously attacked him.
Even with cats that are easy going it can take a while for them to settle and accept a new feline companion, so pppppplease just hang on in there as I think it will all work out nicely in the long run

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #22

Well we have had a pleasant afternoon! Rajah was playing with (systematically destroying) feathers on a stick and Koko was watching from the other end of the sofa when..... he took a flying leap after the toy and landed right next to her! Huge hissings and yells and she flew off. Well its time to separate them again for a while, she is in the ironing basket and he is in the puter room, so peace reigns again.

Little by little every day!

She is going nowhere, they will either have to become friends or learn to rub along together. She is a stressy cat. She is also beautiful and bright. And she will be fine. He is just so confident that she finds it all a bit intimidating! He is also very bouncy like Tigger!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokytopaz
Well we have had a pleasant afternoon! Rajah was playing with (systematically destroying) feathers on a stick and Koko was watching from the other end of the sofa when..... he took a flying leap after the toy and landed right next to her! Huge hissings and yells and she flew off. Well its time to separate them again for a while, she is in the ironing basket and he is in the puter room, so peace reigns again.

Little by little every day!

She is going nowhere, they will either have to become friends or learn to rub along together. She is a stressy cat. She is also beautiful and bright. And she will be fine.
He is just so confident that she finds it all a bit intimidating! He is also very bouncy like Tigger!
I think you've summed it up very well there ...... I doubt they'll ever be friends but will tolerate one another eventually.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #24

Do you think you could perhaps be expecting too much too soon from poor little Koko? Not all cats are cuddly or lap cats ....... also many cats are nervous by nature.

My cat Cassie is 12 now and I've had her since she was 6 - 7 weeks. She is extremely timid, gets scared and hides at the slightest noise or if a stranger comes into the house. She will not let me pick her up for a cuddle, her legs will push into me so that she can get away. Putting her in a cat carrier is still a trial even now but we get over it.

I have accepted that that's the way she is and I love her to bits. I have never 'pushed' myself onto her ....... everything has been on her terms. She will willingly jump onto my lap now for a snuggle - but it took a couple of years before she learned to trust me.

By introducing Rajah into your (and Koko's) home has most likely set her back a bit, albeit temporarily. She sees you making a fuss of the new arrival and wonders what has happened .......... did you introduce them to each other slowly over days or did they come face to face on the first day?

I think Koko will need to hear your reassuring voice more in these early days, don't worry about contact with her.......... let her come to you on her own terms ....... and above all, don't expect too much from her.

I wish you all the best with her, she deserves a chance and I hope that one day she will surprise you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #25

You may find if Rajah is a confident cat it may rub off a little on Koko..........