Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #21

Re: Beauty's weight

I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.
Can I ask again what her last blood values are/were?

lethargy should not be over looked when a cat has compromised organs or any other illness.
She may well have other things going on as the CRF, such as anemia, dehydration, both of which are life threatening and need to be treated.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #22

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#weight_loss
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm

http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
27-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I remember she did have some many years ago; have not felt them lately....a well padded puss!! 14 pounds .....
Exactly the same as my Minsky And Darcy's one pound lighter, to be honest I can see the different between the two of them but I think Minsky is just of a stalkier build

I agree with Elaine, and all others, who have voiced concern. I've nevr heard of an adult cat weighing 1 kg. The vet may have overlooked it, and in previous threads we have discussed the pros and cons of vets; but I would take her back and insist they weigh her on their scales (much more accurate, just as the doctors are) and look into the reason behind her low weight.

My wee one, Chaska, had CRF and when she was diagnosed I looked up a lot about it. CRF can lead to other problems such an anemia due to the build up of toxins in the cats system, as the kidneys can't flush them all away. So the lethargy thing would also be a warning bell in my head.

Also I've alwys been told that cats hide pain and injury very well, and often don't show signs of being ill or uncomfortable a good while into developing whatever they have. A routine vet check can do no harm, but not having one may do the opposite...

Good luck RCR! Let us know how she gets on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
27-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #24

There doesn't appear to be a problem with her appetite at all (judging by the fact she'll have breakfast twice, then have lunch, then dinner twice sometimes, then supper, then she'll want a bedtime treat (which she gets) and she has a little food down for if she gets hungry before breakfast time.

I've just weighed her again, and it looks like the scales were "off" yesterday (not quite on zero). It came up as 2 and a half kg today (taking off the weight of the cage)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #25

Just a thought RCR, when was she last wormed?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
27-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Just a thought RCR, when was she last wormed?
We wormed her earlier this month. (the second I think)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
There doesn't appear to be a problem with her appetite at all (judging by the fact she'll have breakfast twice, then have lunch, then dinner twice sometimes, then supper, then she'll want a bedtime treat (which she gets) and she has a little food down for if she gets hungry before breakfast time.

I've just weighed her again, and it looks like the scales were "off" yesterday (not quite on zero). It came up as 2 and a half kg today (taking off the weight of the cage)
Ok, we can rule out worms if she was wormed this month. She is certainly eating plenty but for some reason she's not putting on weight.

Can I suggest you take her to you vet's practice and ask the vet nurse to weigh her on the proper pet scales....... that would be more accurate than the way you are weighing her at the moment.

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.

lethargy should not be over looked when a cat has compromised organs or any other illness.
She may well have other things going on as the CRF, such as anemia, dehydration, both of which are life threatening and need to be treated.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?
reposted
Why do you keep ignoring me? Have i upset you? I have only ever wanted to help you understand the whole CRf thing in order for you to help Beauty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #29

[quote=Elaine;502053]I cannt understand why your vet hasnt suggested any other meds other than the prescription food.

Has your vet discussed apetite stimulants etc?[/quote

Very sound advice Elaine...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
28-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #30

RCR, it is good to know that Beauty may be 2kg and not 1kg, but 2kg is still very light. You created this thread and posted about Beauty's weight in the first place, as you were showing concern at her very light weight. There have been very many good recommedations, the main one being seek a vet's advice (and insist they consider her weight rather than just bypass it), and then you insist she's ok as the scales were wrong and she's now 2.5kg. I don't at all mean to sound harsh, it's very hard to convey a tone of voice through text! But the reason you created this thread is because you were concerned about Beauty's weight, so perhaps you know yourself that you should be taking her to the vets?

My wee one, Chaska, was eating all her prescription meals and had a healthy apetitite but never put weight back on after she lost it. She went downhill very quickly with CRF, but it sounds like Beauty has general good health at the moment and could do for a while yet, so I would really strongly recommend taking her to the vets and getting looked at, as when CRF suddenly increases its effect on the cat, as it did with Chaska, it can happen very quickly and can be very upsetting to see.