Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #21

Re: Pedigree Dog programme on BBC

The problem occurs because "mankind" can and does interfere with nature from ...dog/cats/birds/fish.....to the way rivers flow....because we can we will...........with sadly not thought for the "downside"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #22

Yes Kazz I agree. I think in our cats and dogs, the US have an influence and now Europe. Im not saying we dont influence them too, but certainly some Siamese and Persian Cats are so badly exaggerated now than how they used to be, Persians suffering breathing and eye problems are relatively common, owning 2 such Cats, one still, (of a more normal type) its awful to see.

Dogs have taken overseas influence too. Afghans on the continent are dominating UK imports, they are shorter on the leg, have exaggerated hind quarters and their tails are held upright by themselves, despite the standard saying they should be dropped when at ease. its trends and fashions Im afraid.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
22-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #23

I've always loved moggies and mutts. When I was little and desperately wanted a dog, the only 'pedigree' dog I wanted was a Border Terrier, because they are such lovely wee darlings and look more 'standard mutt-dog like' than a lot of other pedigrees. All the mutt dogs I've met and known have been incredibly healthy and long-living; not to say that ALL pedigree dogs aren't healthy, but it makes genetic sense to mix up the genes and you'll get a healthier animal.

They don't allow inbreeding in humans by law; so why with animals?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #24

There is a family by me who have a bulldog pup.....is about 5 months old now and can hardly walk...in my opinion...and you can actually hear him coming before they turn the corner....I myself love bulldogs, from ones I have met previously but all have been able to walk/run/play/etc without this excessive noise poor lad he can't be happy his eyes tel you he wants to run and play but his body just will not permit it.

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
I've always loved moggies and mutts. When I was little and desperately wanted a dog, the only 'pedigree' dog I wanted was a Border Terrier, because they are such lovely wee darlings and look more 'standard mutt-dog like' than a lot of other pedigrees. All the mutt dogs I've met and known have been incredibly healthy and long-living; not to say that ALL pedigree dogs aren't healthy, but it makes genetic sense to mix up the genes and you'll get a healthier animal.

They don't allow inbreeding in humans by law; so why with animals?
Mutt like!!!! Orey is horrified he "thinks" he is a dude!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
22-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #26

HE is a TOTAL dude!! What a gorgeous photo!!

Sorry Orey, didn't mean to cause offence. I did infact mean that as a compliment to all border terriers I just mean they look very authentically 'dog like' and aren't all fussy and fancy like toy breeds and such like.

I just love their little fuzzy faces and soft velvet black ears!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #27

Me too! A friend of mine has one and she is so lovely - getting a bit long in the tooth and grey around the whiskers, but a smashing little dog - who things she's a big dog. She gets on so well with the two cats and mothered them as kits.

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
HE is a TOTAL dude!! What a gorgeous photo!!

Sorry Orey, didn't mean to cause offence. I did infact mean that as a compliment to all border terriers I just mean they look very authentically 'dog like' and aren't all fussy and fancy like toy breeds and such like.

I just love their little fuzzy faces and soft velvet black ears!
I know what you meant really One of the reasons I chose them was their non exaggerated normal dog look.

Thanks for the nice comments, he's embarassed now.