Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #21

Re: Bernard...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Poor Bernard. Hope everything went well at the vets xxx
How old is Bernard Charlie?
I asked that in the previous thread Elaine. CB reckons 7/8. She's had him about a year.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #22

Hmm, I was just wondering if maybe the stress of the move has possibly triggered another underlying cause for the midnight wailing. I sincerely hope not.
Hopefully the vet visit has helped. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
21-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #23

Thanks for the support from everyone.

Well, the vet was quite dismissive to be honest I think he thought I was over-reacting

He checked Bernard over though and concluded that there was nothing medically wrong with him. He said that it could possibly be the start of a stress-related-cystitis, but he didn't really seem to think so. He wasn't worried about the eye either

He gave him a shot of antibiotics and antiinflammatory and gave me some AB tablets for him, but his general conclusion was that it's stress from the move and that 2 weeks isn't really very long.

He tried to fob me off with a Feliway plug-in - which I said that I already have - then he tried to say that maybe once the cat flap was fitted it would all be okay despite the fact that I said Bernard had access to the garden through the kitchen window anyway

All in all - it wasn't much help!!!!!! But at least I have ruled out any medical problem.

When I was chatting to Fran last night it jogged my memory that when Bernard first came into Wood Green and I was working there, he was very stressed out at being confined there (we think he had been a long term stray before) and as soon as the week stray time was up I brought him straight home with me. He didn't settle very well initially and preferred to spend nearly all his time in the garden. I even had to take his food out to him in the garden. It took quite a long time and a lot of work for him to trust me and understand that he could come in the house and it was his home and that he was safe.

I also remember that when I got some new furniture a few months ago, he sprayed up my new table

So, perhaps he is a cat that just doesn't like change!?!?!

That's my conclusion for now anyway and I have bought some homeopathic stress relief drops for him today. Fingers crossed that it does the trick.

I have also invested in a jumbo, jumbo sized litter tray today and filled it with his new favorite litter and I'm hoping that all of this will do the trick!!!!!

Oh, and the cat flap is now fitted too, so he can come and go into the garden as he pleases without me having to worry about having the kitchen window open.

Please keep your fingers crossed for us this weekend!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
21-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #24

Everything crossed here Charlie!!! Let us know how he goes..

Catsey Veteran

21-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #25

I am very pleased to hear that there is no medical issues with Bernard xxx
Sounds like it takes him a long time to adapt to change, is he related to my Diva by any chance?
Poor Bernard, its sad when they are like this coz its not like you can explain it to him, I am sure with your love and patience he will come round in his own good time. I just hope that doesnt mean too many sleepless nights for you Charlie.
All my love and best wishes to you both. xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #26

Pleased to hear there was nothing medically wrong with Bernard anyway Charlie....

I hope the two of you have a good weekend and Bernard begins to relax a bit.....

Catsey Veteran

21-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #27

Thanks Elaine. I think he may have the Diva's Scottish ancestory!!!! lol He is being a bit diva-ish at the mo

I've got all the time in the world if that's what it takes to make him settled and happy though.

Catsey Veteran

21-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #28

Thanks Mags (and Fran too!)

Catsey Veteran

21-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #29

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs...p?topic=4973.0
Found this on another site that might help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
21-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #30

Glad that there is nothing medically wrong with him Charlie! just sounds like he is going to need time and extra loving to settle in your new home ((hugs)) to you both.