Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal
29-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #21

Re: Hello ***waves*****

Well things have got alot worse inthe world of Bengal Rescue. A number of Rescues in the USA are shutting their doors and not taking in anymore cats, which means Bengals are now dying in USA cat shelters! No foster homes, no permanent homes... very sad to see.

But what about over here, well I have 11 cats curently needing homes and have already homed twice as many as last year. I used to have a waiting list of suitable homes but now I am struggling to find homes!!

People don't want a Bengal over 3 years of age, which is crazy they can live til 24 years of age!

They come in often due to families emigrating or house moves. But more often than not it is due to agression to other cats in the household. People buy a cute Bengal kitten as company to their cute moggy kitten or any other breed, which is fine until the kitten reaches maturity then all hell breaks loose. Bengals like their own kind and the males in particular do not mix well with other breeds.

A reputable breeder will probably not sell you a kitten if you have other cats, but a kitten farm would do. I keep all my pedigrees and am seeing a trend in certain bloodlines causing problems, and some of these are kitten farms.

If you want a Bengal kitten do your research, you can always call me. Expect to have to wait and please don't buy a kitten from anyone who doesn't have their mother there or who are out in a cattery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #22

Hi and welcome back to Catpages. I didn't realise that Bengals were so difficult to home with other cats. I really hope you manage to find loving, permanent homes for the cats you have in rescue right now..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
29-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #23

Hi Bengal Cat Rescue
I think your facts are very similar to mine. I help run a boxer welfare. The trend however is the same. Over three, people dont really want them. No research goes into buying puppies and as for the breeders, we have a big problem with one. Most of the dogs come from there. They sell to anyone and even take credit cards.

Catsey Junior

29-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #24

Likewise Jac. I've had 6 cats come in over the past 12 months from the same breeder. and am seeing an increase in F- generation cats which worries me somewhat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #25

What are F generation cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #26

I think the "F" refers to the generation removed from the wild Cat. Like F1 would be say Asian Leopard Cat cross domestic cat, F1 being first generation. F2 would be second generation. Of course I could be totally wrong!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
29-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #27

Bengals are crosses between a wild cat (the leopard cat), and a domestic cat. F0 would be these parents, so I bet that's not what she means. The first three generations are called filial (F1 (first set of kittens), F2 (F1 + domestic), F3 (F2 + domestic)) and are not kept as pets, I think. F4 and beyond are considered domestic enough to be pets. I bet she means one of the F1, F2 or F3 generations.
I'm sure I'm not absolutely correct, but I should be in the same ballpark.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
29-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #28

That makes sense. I have just read a post on an American cat forum about a Bengal cat rescue possibly closing down, it is such a shame that there are so many homes needed for bengals and yet so many breeders still breeding. I have to admit that I think they would be too high energy for me, although I do love their markings.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #29

I board a few and to be honest I think they can be hard work. I have never seen Cats eat like them, worse than Labradors and I mean that! All the Bengals I have boarded have been the same.

I think the "wild" aspect have sold them, like in dogs and the "Wolf" types, but I think the Cats being a little wild by nature have retained much of it. There is also a lot of cross breeding and irresponsible breeding going on. A few weeks back we were approached by a woman asking us if we wanted to buy a litter! People are crossing them with moggies and other Cats, just IMO to put a "breed" on the kittens, I board one such Cat would was bought with so many names on it it was unbelievable! This Cat was a beautiful animal, but at times was very testing for its owners who was told because of the dilution in breeding only the "look" of the Bengal remained!

I wish you luck in your rehoming.
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

30-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #30

Yes Bengals are a handful, I think they're a love them or hate them breed. They are more lie owning a dog than a cat, they want to be with you, play with you and will even go on wals with you.

F Generation you are right they're the early generations, closer to the Asian Leopard Cat. Some breeders are now breeding them and selling them 'as something a bit different.'

According to DEFRA (And I have spoke to them personally) anything below an F4 requires a dangerous wild animals licence currently. There is a piece of legislation that may change this but if we go by the letter of the law you still need a licence.