Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
13-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #21

Re: HELP - need your advice everyone - decision needed

If you can afford it, and have enough space and time for 6, go for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #22

People have pretty well covered it. I think your ex should contribute to vet bills but as long as you can accept the additional food bills - and your neighbours won't go crazy over 2 more cats (it might upset ultra-keen gardeners or bird-watchers) give it a try.
If it doesn't work you could try a private rehoming direct from your place, where you'd get to meet prospective adopters.

PS. In all honesty, I don't think 2 adult cats together in a familiar cosy home, with enough food and with some (even not a lot of) human company should be quite content. Is your ex just tired of them?
Maybe I'm poking my nose in there, so I'll quickly withdraw it!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
13-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
PS. In all honesty, I don't think 2 adult cats together in a familiar cosy home, with enough food and with some (even not a lot of) human company should be quite content. Is your ex just tired of them?
Maybe I'm poking my nose in there, so I'll quickly withdraw it!
My thoughts too. I have never had any trouble leaving the cats as long as they were fed and had access to the outdoors (being inside/outside cats). The dog on the other hand completely different.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
13-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #24

I hope you followed your heart and said yes, they are still relatively young and probaly will be greatful and no bother.

I don't regret keeping a 16.y.o feral tortie lady who in 15 months has had her teeth out, been neutered, had a flea aleergy clearup, become not so queen of her own place and is now an old slobberchops and seeks us out, loves her own bed, food on tap - quite rotund now sort of a long haired tortie rugby ball with a leg on each corner!

She went to the vet on Saturday and we did have a discussion about her weight and our new vets said she is hale and hearty and once she realises the food will always be there she might slow down and diet a bit!

Good luck and they sound wonderful!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
I hope you followed your heart and said yes, they are still relatively young and probaly will be greatful and no bother.

I don't regret keeping a 16.y.o feral tortie lady who in 15 months has had her teeth out, been neutered, had a flea aleergy clearup, become not so queen of her own place and is now an old slobberchops and seeks us out, loves her own bed, food on tap - quite rotund now sort of a long haired tortie rugby ball with a leg on each corner!

She went to the vet on Saturday and we did have a discussion about her weight and our new vets said she is hale and hearty and once she realises the food will always be there she might slow down and diet a bit!

Good luck and they sound wonderful!
Not sure if I go along with that bit about knowing food will always be there; my Misty was a little stray and to the time she died at 19 1/2, she always reacted "Food! I remember when there was no food!! Eat it!" She was only about 3 months when I got her, and she always acted as if there may be a day when there was no food....she was a short quite plump little girl. Still miss her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
14-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #26

Sorry I was not around yesterday....

I am still no further along with my decision.

My ex. said he pays around £20 per month insurance, which he will now pay to the children who will then give it straight to me to pay for them silly co*k eyed way me thinks . Why cannot he just give it straight to me or pay it as an extra. Words failed me.

He knows I am a real softie when it comes to Cats/Kittens and I will really be unhappy if I know they have had to go into Rescue, maybe hes playing on this? Yep, me thinks your right, hes using the excuse of work etc.... because hes tired of them and now moved on with his life and no longer perhaps needs the company.

The kids really want them - I feel rotten if I say no but on the other hand am I right in saying yes.

God, this is hard!

Julie x