Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #11

Re: Finding a good vet

I think I saw that progamme before Yola, I felt so sorry for the persian, the poor thing must have been exhausted with the owner fussing him for hours. The woman with the sphynx cats was only interested it the attention she could get herself- very sad really.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
24-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #12

What I would do is phone a few vets around, explain the situation and ask if they would mind you coming around to have a look at their facilities etc. Like another member said, explain that you have had a few bad experiences but dont mention anyone in particular. General cleanliness, and what they can offer is important. Bigger does not necessarily mean better.

I would also speak to your local Cats Protection & ask what vets use - each branch spends thousands of pounds a year on vets fees so obviously they have to be happy with the practice in general. I know our branch changed a couple of times because the original practice they were with they were unhappy with. The one that they use may be smaller, but to me they give better service.

If possible (and with permission) sit in a consultation, and ask (away from the vet) if the owner would not mind giving their opinion on how they think they are treated and facilities. I say away from the vet, because the vet may treat the owner better than normal, or they may feel pressurised to give an pleasing opinion if the vet is breathing down their necks. If the vet is out of earshot, then at least you get a honest opinion.

Other than that, ask other cat owners that you know, or even other pet owners (they dont necessary have to have cats, a dog's owner's opinion would equally be valid), of opinions about local vets.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
29-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #13

Thanks for all the good advice - I have asked a few pet owners and one name has come up a few times - the only thing I am worried about is the fact they are a bit further away to reach when my cats hate travelling in the car. I heard a radio phone in about the programme exposing the vets behaviour and prices and some of the pet owners ringing in had good reason to be aggrieved, one woman said her poor dog had five un necessary operations and had to be put to sleep in the end after putting it through so much, she had insurance and said the vet was after the money he could make. (Not the vet in the porgramme.) Plenty of similar stories and surely its about time there was a ruling body for vets to answer to (I don t think there is one?)

Having a vet you can trust is as important as having a doctor or a surgeon you can trust. And one ignorant man text in and said get a grip, their only animals. Glad I was cleaning in an empty house at that point!! Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #14

Bet the air was blue in your house Jan!

I agree with Mahatma Gandi's words:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

We don't come anywhere near as a nation IMO.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #15

Wlel put, Angie, very apt!