Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: two long haired two short hair cats
07-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #11

Re: Max

Thankyou all for your excellent advice, I will try the different foods you have mentioned, I think it was the cat milk I was getting mixed up with the condensed milk but I could nt find the thread when I was scrolling down earlier.

Thankk goodness I checked for replies before I rushed to buy the wrong milk!

I will heed all your good advice and monitor Max carefully. I hesitate stressing him out to take to the vets but if I think he is having trouble with his teeth (those oven chips?) or mouth or gets any more difficult to feed I will have to take him down.

Thanks so much Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #12

Do let us know how he's doing, Jan.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
07-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #13

Yes please keep us up to date with how Max is. I hope you find the right combination for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

Yes, good luck with finding something he'll like to eat that will be perfect for him.

Catsey Senior

07-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #15

Thank you all, I will do.

Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #16

If you havent already, you might want to call your vet and ask him for a phos binder to add to his food, that way, no need for the renal diet and he can eat what ever cat foods he wants.
All the very best to you and Max xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #17

Good point Elaine- the 2 phosphate binders I have heard of are ipakitine, a powder, and renalzin, which comes in a pump. I use Ipakitine and feed my cat 50% renal diet/ 50% hi-life with 1/2 scoop of ipakitine.

Catsey Senior

11-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #18

Thank you for that extra information, and here s an update on Max.

I bought the gourmet pate, cat milk and a blender (but didnt really need that as it blends down really easily.) He tucked in instantly and did it a fair bit of justice, although I have noticed in the last day or so he s happy to tuck in but eating it little amounts at a time. The odd thing is whatever I try and give to him (a bit of tuna, or this cat blend) he takes it off the fork or spoon after lapping it from the plate. Even when he s lost interest in lapping the plate he will have more from the fork. My son even commented when he put a bit of tuna down and then offered it off his finger Max licked it but did nt touch the plate!

One more question, does anyone know of the pate type food being sold in the senior formula?

As for the phos binders I will look into that. Is it vet only or can it be purchased on the internet? Thanking you once again, Jan x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #19

I wonder if elevating his bowl would help Jan - and that would explain why Max accepts food more readily from a spoon or hand which is probably held higher. I'm sure Elaine mentioned that to me when I was having problems with Merlin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
11-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #20

Have you tried changing his bowl. Sounds a daft idea but he might not like the bowl he is being fed in.