Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
19-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #11

Re: George is at the vet!

Poor George. Hope he is better today and the matacalm is doing the trick. Chin rub to him from me.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
20-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #12

Well George seems a little better today....no evidence of blood in any of the trays... but i hadn't actually witnessed him having a pee until about 5 pm this afternoon which was quite yellow... certainly no visible blood in it... and that was about 10 mins after i gave him todays dose of the metacam... so it seems the first dose yesterday has made a huge difference already... he's still a little cranky.. but all in all he does seem a bit better than yesterday on the "mood" front...
thanks for all your concern

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #13

Glad George has done a wee! Hope his "crankiness" will improve as he starts to feel better. Please give him a gentle cuddle from me.

Almost a Veteran Member

22-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #14

well after a couple of days of improvment George had some blood in his urine again this morning .. it wasn't as much as the previous time though...i rang the vet and they have said just to keep an eye on him and continue with the metacam as he seems better overall.. funny how sometimes their mood can go off ever so slightly for a few days and then when they come good again it's only then that you realise just how off colour they were...
George is better since he's been taking the Metacam.. is still eating... and not as grumpy.. not crying re toileting or anything.. but there wasn't any of that to begin with so not sure how reliable that is as an indicator of trouble... so i will be on tray duties for a few extra days yet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #15

Jo, Have you looked at Cystease. It's basically glucosamine for cats but if I read the blurb properly, glucosamine is not only a painkiller it is an important component of the lining of the bladder.
Cystease
It was great for Chester when he had stressy cystitis - you give relatively high dose during an attack and then a low maintenance dose when the cat is asymptomatic.
Get it through your vet or on-line without prescription.

Almost a Veteran Member

22-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Jo, Have you looked at Cystease. It's basically glucosamine for cats but if I read the blurb properly, glucosamine is not only a painkiller it is an important component of the lining of the bladder.
Cystease
It was great for Chester when he had stressy cystitis - you give relatively high dose during an attack and then a low maintenance dose when the cat is asymptomatic.
Get it through your vet or on-line without prescription.
Thanks DM... i will speak to the vet about it.... i have just had a look at the link and then tried to search it via online Australian websites... and drawn a blank... so i will keep searching

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
22-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #17

I hope that there is big improvements soon for George, they are a worry aren`t they when they are not well, fingers crossed that it clears soon X.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookyandjo
well after a couple of days of improvment George had some blood in his urine again this morning .. it wasn't as much as the previous time though...i rang the vet and they have said just to keep an eye on him and continue with the metacam as he seems better overall.. funny how sometimes their mood can go off ever so slightly for a few days and then when they come good again it's only then that you realise just how off colour they were...
George is better since he's been taking the Metacam.. is still eating... and not as grumpy.. not crying re toileting or anything.. but there wasn't any of that to begin with so not sure how reliable that is as an indicator of trouble... so i will be on tray duties for a few extra days yet
Oh very well put! That is so true!

That was very interesting about the glucosamine; had no idea about the effects on the bladder. I've taken a maintenance dose of it for my osteoarthritis for years and it really works.

Hope George continues to improve.

Almost a Veteran Member

23-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #19

Well we are back from another visit to the vet ....George was really grumpy this morning (even growling at me!)... pacing in and out of our ensuite where the upstairs tray is... wouldn't use it just staring at it and sniffing... hadn't finished last nights food (and still hasn't)
no blockage ... the bladder is so small it can't be felt on palpation... so we have been given some anti depressants to try and make him feel less stressed... going to use the metacam once a day..
I spoke to our vet about the glucosamine and he said its worth a try... he said for some cats it works and not for others... but i suppose that could be said of many medications... he said no need to purchase any as i can use the ones that i have at home...
i think what im going to do at this stage is go with the anti depressants for the 6 days is the course...and see hoe that goes... and then try the glucosamine after that... if something works I want to be able to pin point exactly what has done the trick

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
23-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #20

Oh dear poor George he is obviously in some discomfort, I really do hope that he starts to feel alot better soon, it is very frustrating not knowing what it is exactly that they need to help make things better for them straight away to cause them less discomfort and stess. You always feel that everything is always trail and error with them before you find the solution.