Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #11

Re: Another newbie! -neutropenia

My boy had his second bone marrow operation today which I've been told he has come through OK, and is being brought home later this evening (I don't have transport). I imagine he'll have to be kept in again until the results come through and his staple-stitches are removed. I only hope the vet managed to get enough sample out this time.

It will be great to have him back - a house is not a home without a cat....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
07-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

I certainly hope that the vet has got enough this time as it must be very traumatic for Solomon, please give him a big cuddle from the Leesy household X.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #13

And a gentle cuddle from me too; poor Solomon!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #14

Cuddles and get well vibes from me and Kizzy too.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #15

Thanks for the good wishes and cuddles for Solomon! He was ravenously hungry when he came back last night and again this morning, but I did notice that this time he didn't have staples, just the ordinary sort which he kept worrying at. Sure enough by lunch time today I could see that he had removed them and the wound was bleeding - panic! I rang the vets and was told to bring him straight down. He was re-stitched with staples and - horror of horrors - was fitted with a plastic collar which he has to keep on until the stitches come out in about ten days' time. I was told he would get used to it but he hasn't shown much sign of doing so as yet, in fact, he nearly went beserk earlier on, blundering into things and generally getting throughly bad-tempered.

He is asleep at the moment, and I managed to take a photo of him, at least it doesn't show his bald bits much!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #16

Awwww bless poor Solomon looks so fed up lay there, mind you I don`t think I would like a collar like that around my neck.
((BIG HUGS)) Xxx.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #17

They do hate those collars, don't they? What a pity he pulled out his stitches and has to wear it. He looks so disgruntled in that pic, poor fellow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #18

Oh poor thing looks fed up. It is so hard when they look at you like that and you just want them to understand it's because you love them!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
09-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #19

Gumby, have you looked into getting a special vest for Solomon... they are called medical Pet Shirts and the are a bit like a baby's grow suit for pets..(with the legs cut out of course!).. They are designed to be used by animals after surgical prcedures to stop them removing stiches and also to provide support to the suture line...depending on wheré Solomons incision is the suit may cover it so he wouldn't have to wear a collar... they are designed so they can toilet in them as well... come in lots of different sizes and are machine washable..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #20

Oh poor Solomon . . . he looks very sorry for himself there in his collar and rightly so, he's been through quite a lot!

I had a cat with FIV. I 'inherited' him as a stray who moved in!! He lived happily alongside my other two and settled to being predominently indoor by choice. The vets tested him when I took him in for a head injury he sustained whilst still living rough and they were both surprised and grateful that I took him on despite this!

I'm no expert as he showed no actual symptoms other than being more susceptible to sneezes, infections and his ear polyps which became infected more and more frequently.

He came through a very serious operation to create a new ear canal but it was a routine dental that finally beat him - he didn't wake up

So, although I can't help with specific symptoms of FIV, the overriding thing for me was Ferdy's inability to cope with general health things that hardly bothered my other cats.

Just a couple of things that might help with identifying whether he might be FIV . . . Have you had Solomon from a kitten? Was he a rescue? Is he neutered? Did he fight a lot?