Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #11

Re: My Bengal Baby

Yes - or a bit of bedding-swapping?
Good luck and be patient

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #12

Oh Dinahsmum, I have been patient, and tonight I thought it was if she didn't know me again, this has always been Koko's problem. She seems to go to sleep and wake up in an entirely new world that she has never been in before,

The difference between her and Rajah is immense, he purrs and chirrups at her and she screams and leaves, It took me an hour to get her in from the garden tonight. Even though she sat, albeit pressed against the wall and purred as I insisted on stoking and being with her.

Oh and Rajah got into trouble tonight for peeing in the wrong place. Caught in the act, I picked him up and put him in the litter, he purred and looked embarassed, but even though I have three litter trays maybe her smell is beginning to upset him.

I feel that with her I am back at the beginning. I wanted a pet cat not a feral problem.

Catsey Junior

02-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #13

Well guess what? I need some help here. I think she will have to go. This is awful.

Catsey Junior

02-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #14

Oh I meant to say that Rajah understands bedding swapping he rolls and purrs and swiggles in all her favourite places so I guess he knows what to do, he comes from a big family!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #15

ST, I know it's easy for me to sit here and say" be patient", but it is early days still, She's just been thru the trauma of a trip to the vet and an operation, and now there's a strange cat in her house. That's a lot for a very stressy cat to have gone thru so recently. And she hasn't attacked him, which is a good sign. Consider how far she's come from your first posts, and do think about hanging in there a bit longer .......
I'm praying things will improve.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #16

Oh, I feel so sorry for you, I really do. What to do? I don't know. I don't know what I would do 'if I was you' and I don't know whether any musings or suggestions I might put would do any good.
Again, as it is so complicated, I'm just going to jot random thoughts. If anything coherent appears at the end - well, I'll be amazed.

1. This is not what you wanted or planned. You had a Havanna previously who was a joy; you wanted to repeat that.
2. You know of no reason why Koko is 'different'
3. Koko's behaviour is odd; beyond the extreme end of 'normal'?
4. Is Koko happy without human interaction? Does her life seem pleasant to her? She plays, she enjoys her food - it's these damn humans who spoil it for her!
5. Could Koko live happily outside? She would have plenty to amuse her, she wouldn't need to come into contact with humans. You can get pleasant "kabins" where they can sleep safe and warm
6. Would it be fair on anyone to attempt to rehome her? Who would want a 'cat that hates humans'?
7. Is she insured? Could you get a consultation with a behaviouralist?
8. (A nasty one) Koko is suffering a feline mental illness which is affecting her life so much that she gets no pleasure from living and the kindest thing would be to pts. I don't think that is the case, is it? - but if we're trying to examine all possibilities this has to be in the mix.

I feel so sorry for you; I hope a solution appears. Good luck

Catsey Junior

03-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #17

All of these thoughts I have had except the last one.

Do cats suffer from mental illness? Honestly, both Mum and I have remarked that she can go to sleep and when she sees us again it is as though we are complete strangers and she is afraid.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #18

I agree with both Dm's (UK and USA)... i think there are a couple of important things to remember... again i'll follow Dm's (UK) lead and put them in point form for ease of reading.

1. lets assume for a moment that Koko was a perfectly normal, friendly, well adjusted cat...introducing a new kitten into the household would throw any well adjusted, friendly cat off balance and there WOULD be some behavioural problems. (I know from experiece because i have just introduced a new kitten into my household with an established cat)

2. As DM (US) mentioned..Koko hasn't attacked Rajah (cute name BTW) which is a good sign...Koko has had a lot to contend with in the last few weeks with being spayed etc... But she HAS come such a long way from when you first got her...(at least it seems that way to me after reading through the previous threads..)

3. Some cats just dont get on... no matter what you try and do... but it will take a little bit of time to see if that is going to be the case...George and Tinky Winky (the boy i lost nearly 8 weeks ago were housemates for 7 1/2 years....70% of the time they were friends, 25% or the time they tolerated each other and 5% of the time they avoided each other because not everyone...cat, dog or human can get along together all the time..

I certainly dont envy your position... but please hang in there and give both of your babies a chance... if it comes to pass that Koko has to go... at least when you make that decision you'll be able to make it with the knowledge that you gave everyone concerned..(even yourself) the best chance

I wish you all the best of luck and i will keep my fingers crossed for you all

Catsey Junior

03-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #19

I am going to do nothing at the moment, it is early days. I think the striking difference in their behaviour is getting to me. I am at the computor now with the door closed and she is wandering about, she just climbed and sat on the seat I was sitting on, but try and touch her and she is gone. I can force her into contact but she cowers for a while before she starts to gently purr.

After four months you would think she would know I am not going to hurt her. As far as I know she has never been hurt. Been made to do things she didn't want, but not hurt.

And no, she is truly not a candidate for rehoming, she would hate it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #20

I really am sorry for your situation ST, having had Kizzy for only 3 weeks who is affectionate and friendly. I know she needs a feline friend and am worried that will unsettle her, especially as her tummy troubles SEEM to be settling a bit.

Rajah (pictures please!) sounds like the perfect antidote to poor Koko. If I had a guess, I'd say it sounds as if she has a memory problem, but she is too young for any sort of dementia.