Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Lexi & Eddie
02-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #11

Re: Not sure what to do, any help appreciated.

I think Lexi may be like that too. Her and Zoot were incredibly close, spent practically all of their time together, slept together whenever indoors - always cuddled up together, played together, just done everything together.

She's not been the same since he's gone, she's sleeping in his fav spots, she's spending more time indoors when she much prefers to be outside and she's even tolerating the puppy more.

This is why I'm really in two minds about what to do, everything just seems to be going round in circles. I dont want her to be lonely but I also dont want to get her a friend that she'll hate and then she'll possibly move out!

I've been put in this position before and I'm finding it really quite tough.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #12

What did you do the last time, and how did it work out?

Catsey Junior

02-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #13

Sorry that should have read "I've not been put in this position before".

Stressed, tired and emotional, sorry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #14

Yeah, I know, been there, done that. Don't be sorry; this is a difficult time for you. (((hugs))) Sleep on it ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #15

Don't hurry into anything - is Lexi still eating OK?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #16

Sorry to hear your news.

If it was me, I would try not to rush into anything. Easier said than done.

It's hard for us to remember that cats are not naturally sociable animals. It is not 'normal' for them to live in a pack. Of course it's not 'normal' for them to live in houses with humans either, so we have to bear that in mind.

As I said before - wait a little and see what happens. Lexi will 'grieve' in her own feline way, and she may give you a lead as to what to do next. She may change her routine a little and happily adapt to being an 'only'.

I've never had any bother bringing a new cat into the household. I'd never even thought of it being problematic until I joined Catsey! Just use your own good sense and let them be cats. Don't get over-intellectual about it.

Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #17

My two were together for 23 years yet when Oscar was PTS although Cleo missed him I do not think she needed or wanted another.........cats are often happy to be solitary....why not wait and see how she goes on.

Catsey Junior

03-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #18

But how will I know if she's happy or not? If she "goes back to normal" then I should take that as she's happy to be on her own. And if she's still a bit "different" then think more about getting her a friend. How long should I wait though, weeks? Months?

Cats owned: Black moggy.
03-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #19

We adopted brothers 5 years ago when the were 12 years old. Sadly Jet died early last year and Pu was at first inconsolable. We did try to introduce a companion but he would have nothing to do with him and in the end we had to accept that Pu did not want a substitute for his lifelong friend.

A quite reserved cat, when his vocal highly social brother was alive, has now become an active member in all our family conversations and activities. In fact he is leaning on my hand watching me now as I type.

What I am trying to say is that not replacing Zoot will not necessarily upset Lexi as much as you imagine as long as Lexi has you to love her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #20

I also don't think you would be doing Lexi any harm if you didn't get another cat. Cats are quite lonesome creatures who don't necessarily need another cat for company. I have 4 cats and they are usually on their own. Of course it is up to you, but if you don't feel ready yet, then I would leave if for a while. Do you live on a busy road? If you have lost one cat to an RTA, maybe your next cat could be a indoor cat?

Take care and so sorry for your loss. xx