Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
20-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #11

Re: Pedigree Dog programme on BBC

I missed the first five minutes, but the whole program shocked me! I'll never get a pedigree ANYTHING, personally! (Not that I don't like pedigree cats, but in my opinion moggies, mongrels etc have as much right to be in loving homes and looked after well as pedigrees!

Going off the point now, so I'll shut up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #12

I would always go for mixed breed. Something I remember from biology - hybrid vigour.

To breed for physical characteristics that can cause an animal pain or distress is IMO just pure wickedness.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
20-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #13

[quote=angieh;501133]I would always go for mixed breed. Something I remember from biology - hybrid vigour.

To breed for physical characteristics that can cause an animal pain or distress is IMO just pure wickedness.[/QUOTE]

people who breed just for looks!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
20-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #14

I don’t think pedigree cats suffer to the same extent that dogs do. Cats tend to have lots of variants in colour etc (Brits certainly do) so aren’t as inbred as dogs. Chloe is a Brit, although we actually got her from the RSPCA rescue centre. And I would buy a Brit as they are pretty much the perfect cat, and from what I’ve read don’t really suffer from any genetic problems apart from a slightly higher incidence of gingivitis (which Chloe has) and cardiomyopathy, and are actually quite long living 14 -20

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
20-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyabrew
I don’t think pedigree cats suffer to the same extent that dogs do. Cats tend to have lots of variants in colour etc (Brits certainly do) so aren’t as inbred as dogs. Chloe is a Brit, although we actually got her from the RSPCA rescue centre. And I would buy a Brit as they are pretty much the perfect cat, and from what I’ve read don’t really suffer from any genetic problems apart from a slightly higher incidence of gingivitis (which Chloe has) and cardiomyopathy, and are actually quite long living 14 -20
What about the way Siamese/oriental cats have changed? Some people refer to them as "alien" to the normal cat now! (not me personally either!) Scottish folds, Munchkins, cats bred to look like wild cats (Bengals) others bred to look like Tigers (Toygers) I could go on...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
20-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #16

agreed there are some weird ones out there, but they don't suffer as much as dogs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #17

I think there are a lot of cat problems too if we are talking about pedigree.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
20-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #18

As many of you know I have recently bought a pedigree puppy. I have done this because I like the breed, its size, its characteristics, its personality and yes, its looks too. I know what size he will grow to, which I couldn't guarantee with a cross-breed.

I was horrified at the poor dogs shown on this programme with their totally avoidable problems due to (mainly) careless breeding, greed and vanity. Some breeders simply close their minds to health problems in their breed and puppy farmers churn out pups by the crateful without paying attention to the health screening tests that are available for many breeds, as well as heavily inbreeding the animals they have in their premises.

DNA tests for some conditions in some breeds are available and caring breeders only breed from individual animals who are clear of these genetic conditions. The breeder of my Morgan has given me photocopies of test results for both his parents and by looking at his pedigree I can see whether or not he is inbred. All breeders and owners should be alert and do their homework well to avoid heartbreak.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
20-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #19

I didn't see the programme, but have heard plenty about it and am thoroughly disgusted at what breeders do to have the 'perfect' dog, with no thought or feeling for the poor dog. I have never agreed with some breeds such as the pug or peke, look as though they have real trouble breathing. I don't think all pedigrees have such problems though.

Yola, your post made me smile - I am definitely a 'non-person'!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
20-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyabrew
agreed there are some weird ones out there, but they don't suffer as much as dogs
I think they do, there are not as many breed of cat, but comparitively speaking they are affected too. There are certain breeds of cat that have been exaggerated to such an extent, that if breeders persist they will be in the same boat as dogs very soon, some already are, with breed specific diseases affecting them.