Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #11

Re: What makes you choose a certain breed of cat?

I chose my Persians because OH was always on about how a house needed a cat to make it a home. I wasn't so sure, never having lived with a cat before. When we bought our house (after renting), he kept on about it and finally I said, well if I have to have a cat, I will have an ultimate 'designer' cat (I too was high maintenance in those days), and chose persians.

I wanted a blue, and we got Baliero 3 months after moving in. Then we wanted a chum for him and I had my heart set on a red persian. The one we went to see (a baby) tood a massive chunk out of my hand, so I chose his beautiful lilac-cream sister . . . Fifi

Ferdy our big, black, ugly brute of a stray (RIP) chose us but refusing to move out of our garden, and persian Darcy (also RIP ) was rescued from Reading CP coz he was ahem . . . a 'character' and they were finding it impossible to rehome him because of his fur length and his quirky looks.

I will stick with persians as there are many rescues out there who have been bought on impulse and who need a home that understands them once they've been thrown out and rescued.

Oh, Angie, absolutely no offence taken about the flat faces. Each to their own . . . I just happen to adore them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #12

Angie, I agree Burms are stunning cats; never knew one personally but loved the ones I saw at shows. Give Abys another look: they do look "wild" but aren't; very people oriented, as smart as Siamese, and much, much less vocal! This week's avatar is my Sultan!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
03-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #13

Origins of the Exotic....

This caused quite a furor between American Shorthair and Persian breeders in CFA. Because the look was appealing, the breeders working with the hybrid lines decided to work on a new breed to be called the Exotic Shorthair. The name originally proposed for this new breed was to be "Sterling," because of their beautiful silver colour. These cats were to look like Persians, but with a short, plush coat. American Shorthair breeders were given a choice of registering the kittens as Americans or Exotics, but once registered as Exotics they could not return to American.
The discussion over this new breed resulted in the development of the standard for the Exotic Shorthair. The standard was the same as that for the Persian except that, in the beginning, the cat did not need to have a nose break. Although originally the standard was intended to be written just for the silver colour, all Persian colours were accepted into the new Exotic Shorthair breed right from the beginning. Although the outcross was originally conceived as being a hybrid American Shorthair with Persian, the rules were broadly interpreted at first, and any CFA-registered shorthair could be used as a cross. Early breeders used American Shorthair and Burmese for their excellent body and moderate head; a few breeders used outcrosses to the Russian Blue for the plush double coat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #14

That was very interesting, Moli! I never knew the story of the Exotic before....always something to learn on Catsey!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Siamese (sorry Fran, I like the look of those light coloured ones with dark points - although I do love little Rudi).
No problem! I do keep Siamese myself and they do have the same personality as the Orientals, its just for me I prefer 'solid' coloured cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #16

Ah Moli - so the origins of the exotic was American Shorthair and Persian, rather than British Shorthair and Persian cross - am I right? I am assuming (maybe wrongly) that American and British Shorthair are separate breeds?

Dandysmom - I will certainly give Abys another look - I could look at your Sultan for ages and he'd still be a stunner!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #17

Well, I didn't choose my furry friend but since I've had her she has been my pride and joy. I always thought that persians were very aloof but Posh is a very tactile puss, she loves cuddling and being stroked, she wants human company all the time. She has to be in the same room as you, next to you on the sofa, and she talks a lot too!

As for looks, I 'm biased but, she is puuuurrrrrfect

I like looking at other breeds since I joined Catsey. The multi-coloured cats are pretty and the solid black cats with those vivid green eyes, they turn heads. Sorry I'm just learning breeds, but I love a bit of Eye Candy! hahaha!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: BSH x2
swerv is Male
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #18

british shorthair.

temprament and looks was the main reason, also got asthma so short hair was a must.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
08-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #19

I've always had moggies - mainly because they've chosen me rather than the other way round, and because I've always had rescues

But I have in my life known a X-Absynnian and 2 X-Maine Coons, so if I were to have a pedigree it would probably be one of those because they were so gorgeous! The Maine Coon character particularly appealed to me..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
09-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #20

I have always admired the Persian. I love the long coat, and I am asthmatic but I have got immune to them, and the short noses and compact body. Their temperment is gorgeous they are so loving and adore company.
Having said that I love all cats and hopefully will be getting a Siamese or Oriental this year but Persians will always be my first love.