Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
26-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #11

Re: recommend me insurance!

Thankyou for that-i had just got a qoute off them for around £7 per cat so i was considering them but maybe not now!

just got a qoute from petprotect aswell and they too are asking for nearly £10 per cat for their decent cover, and it doesnt look like they offer a discount for covering more then one animal with them

ive tried a few others now but most either dont offer cover for life which is completely pointless in my opinion, or they are all asking for around £10 per cat. its a bit annoying how much companies are charging now when 8 months ago i got 2 cats insured for less then £14 looks like im going to have to juggle money about and just go for one of the companies suggested.

If people could tell me their experiences with any of the companies mentioned ie how quick they were with handling a claim, id really appreciate it because it will help choosing one a bit easier!

oh the stress these furballs cause

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #12

Seriously, I am extremely happy with Petplan, they paid out quicky for Porsha's bills, direct to the vet, so I didn't have to stump up the money and claim back and her premium hasn't gone up now her insurance needs renewing despite around £2000 claim for her and she is covered for life, so I don't need to worry about reaching a 'maximum' claim for her

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
27-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #13

As a breeder I always send my kittens off to their new homes with 6 weeks insurance from Petplan. I encourage the new owners to renew this and most have. The ones that have had to claim have never had a problem and found them very easy to deal with which is essential when you are dealing with a sick kitty. You may have got a cheaper quote but if they are not reliable at paying out what is the point. Try Petplan's online quote system and see if that differs. A friend of mine has three of my babies and they are insured with Petplan and she does get a discount.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
27-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #14

would it be best to ask your vets which insurance company they recomend..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
27-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
would it be best to ask your vets which insurance company they recomend..
Unfortunately vets aren't really allowed to recommend any insurance companies, but I know that a lot of them will definately tell you which ones to steer clear of - when people ask me I always tell them that I'm not really allowed to recommend, but don't go with ...... etc etc

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #16

I wouldn't touch E & L with a bargepole either,heard too many bad things about them on other forums, people have had terrible experiences with them.

I still have some of mine insured with M&S (looks like Sasha will have to stay with them as she has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism). Rudy (my greyhound) is insured with More than, they were reasonable and the cover was good. I think that with most things, you do get what you pay for, having said that I think M&S premiums are just ridiculous now, thinking of switching back to Petplan, they were always quick to pay out and the cover was good too.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
27-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #17

I also wouldn't touch E&L

I have all 3 insured with Sainsbury's - they offered me lower premiums and much more cover than any other insurance company and they were amazing when I needed to claim for Quando's problems - a cheque was received within 6 days of me posting the claim

I pay a total of about £25 per month for two young pedigree show cats and an elderly moggie. It's cheaper than I could get for all 3 elsewhere

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
27-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #18

Hiya

Apparently M&S have introduced new wording in their policies which states that you have to phone a number and speak to their vet nurse before you take your cat to your own vet. I know a lot of people have cancelled their policies because of this and the higher premiums.

Fabes is insured with Petplan and they have been excellent - I claimed back approx £4k in the policy year and there will be more to come! The cover I have for him is about £11 per month but covers him up to £6k per year per condition. As you can see - that is easily reached!!

Foofoo and Sol are with Sainsburys - unfortunately their cover is £6k per condition i.e once I hit £6k then thats it the pot is empty. Not sure what they are like at paying out as I've just put a £550 claim in for Foofoo....

I've heard the Axa policy is really good and a lot of the M&S people have either gone over to them or Petplan.

When Sol's policy comes up for renewal I'll be putting him with Petplan. Unfortunately Foofoo will have to stay with Sainsburys as she'll now have a pre existing condition.

I'm wondering if M&S wanted to break the market and offered a really good policy with low premiums to increase their market share. Now they have it there will be a lot of people who can't move because they have claimed for an ongoing condition. There are also those of us who 'forget' to change insurers (this is what I did! ). A bit cynical I know!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #19

My two fluffs are with Petplan, I havent had to make any claims myself but as far as I have heard through friend that have, they havent had any problems.

Good to see you Candice, how about some piccies of your gorgeous trio?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
27-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #20

Candyshandy that's odd my cover with Sainsburys is £6000 per year per condition ........