Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #11

Re: Cat found dead in neighbours garden

Very unlikely to be a Fox, more likely a dog. poor Cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
08-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #12

Poor thing

RIP little one.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #13

Was just thinking about this, do you think it could have been some sort of encounter with a firework?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #14

Sad story but, unfortunately, I think it's more likely to have been attacked by a dog/dogs than by a fox. They are generally shy creatures and their diet is much more at the small end of the range (from worms to rabbits but mostly mice and voles).
If you've got uncontrolled dogs nearby I would keep your babes in

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #15

Sad ending for little kitty. RIP x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
08-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #16

i keep mine in at night.thers lots of foxes around here.

Cats owned: moggies
Alan77 is Male
23-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #17

Hi all. I am new her and happened to chance acros the site. With regard to this thread, I thought I'd offer my opinion on the foxes issue.

We had three cats, two of which we acquired from the Cats Protection League. One of them (Charlie) was a biscuit coloured and had never shown any interest in going near the road.

However, last week, he went missing and my wife spent quite a lot of time walking up and down the road, looking for a sign that he may have been run over, but found nothing.

A couple of days later, my son came home from school and mentioned that there was a notice in the village shop for a cat that's gone missing. It also transpires that another went missing from just up the road from us. So, we contacted all the local vets, who told us that a lot of cats have been going missing in our area, usually (apparently) overnight.

This led me to a few conclusions:

a) The cats have been killed on the roads and every one of them has been scavenged by another animal.
b) The cats have been taken for the fur trade.
c) The cats have been taken for another reason.
d) The local foxes (and there are plenty, one of which killed 20 of our ducks in September) are killing cats.

The fur trade answer could be true, because Charlie was a nicely-coloured cat, but it would mean the thieves would have (more than likely) had to come all the way up our 50 yard long driveway in the dead of night to take him. That's unlikely, IMO.

I think foxes will kill cats, if the foxes are big and strong enough as well as sufficiently hungry, and the cat is small/old enough. The weather change over the last couple of weeks could mean they are more opportunist than usual.

I have nothing against foxes, per se, even having picked one up that had been run over near our house and taking it to the vets (I later released it in the woods behind our house).

I don't think they're to blame for most instances of cats going missing, but I am sure they play a part.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #18

How very sad. Poor cat.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #19

Welcome to Catsey, Alan!

That's a very interesting post post you have made, sorry to hear about Charlie.....I hope there is still a chance that he will turn up on your doorstep one day.
I have read in the press about several cats from a certain area going missing, so it does make you wonder about the fur trade

We have an Introductions section here where members can intoduce themselves and tell us a little about their cats. Also our members here will be able to give you a proper welcome to our friendly site We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
23-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #20

i keep my 2 in every night, 1 cause of foxes, but the other reason is they are both black and like to go across the road, and its dark around here.