Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: orientals
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #11

Re: New vet medicines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Took my boys for their booster vax this morning. As it happens, Bentley is brewing an abscess on his face/jawline and has a high temperature so couldn't be done today. (I didn't spot the lump, the vet did as soon as he started the pre-vac examination . But, fair-do's, Bentley hadn't shown any sign of being unwell)
Anyway, the reason for this post is to tell of 2 advances (which you probably all know about already )
Convenia (I think) an antibiotic injection which lasts 2 weeks. So, one jab and no pill-pushing, job done.
And Profender, a worm treatment given by a spot appliaction between the shoulder blades. Again, no pill-popping. Always a good thing with cats.

Has anyone else used these? Am I just way behind the times?
Yes they are both very good and we use the products alot at work and get good response from them

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 female non pedigree, one tortie a
08-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #12

My cat had the convenia injection last Friday,as she had a cut on her face and 2 badly torn claws.
We still can't work out how she did it.
Anyway, it seems to be working.
The vet said most cat owners seem very relieved when she tells them about the jab

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #13

Just a postscript on the Convenia antibiotic jab. Smudgley didn't rate it following her experience of its use on one of her CP strays. However, Bentley is fine. 6 days on, the lump under his jaw is about grain of rice size; I can just feel it. The reaction was probably not as rapid as with other a/bs I've experienced in the past - in fact I think the lump got bigger before it got smaller and was the size of a large glass marble (not the gobstopper size one, the medium large!) at one stage.
So, in summary, with a healthy, well nourished and well cared for pet, the once-only jab appears to work well. One jab, no pills, no tummy issues. Maybe it just can't do it, or can't do it so well, with a malnourished, uncared for stray with maybe multiple foci of infection?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #14

Pleased to hear Bentley has 'lost his bump' DM, that one jab AB sounds like the way to go!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
20-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #15

i didn't rate the two week injection either - and at the moment, it is only licenced for certain things, which I think are skin and kidney issues (but could be wrong there), it was given to one of my fosters with a high temp, and still took 3 days before he felt like eating, but could be cos it isn't licenced for that use yet.

Catsey Veteran

20-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #16

Yes well - I can only speak as I find. All I will say is that it suited my boy (and it was a skin/abscess thing) and that although the lump itself took quite a time to go totally - maybe 9 or 10 days - he was fine all through. I repeat that maybe those 'unfortunates' who haven't had a home where they are pampered and who are maybe not as generally healthy and well nourished, may not do as well.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
20-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #17

You do make a good point (apart from saying that the reaction wasn't as rapid) - although the 'unfortunates' are the ones who would benefit more from it - if you are dealing with ferals, it is easier to have one jab than daily tabs, but if it isn't strong enough, it isn't good. The cat I had was actually in relatively good health apart from his temp, you wouldn't have known he had been picked up from teh streets, he was a good sized male. i also dont know if it would work out more costly, when I have used my personal vets, they have given tabs, I do keep forgetting to ask them about it to be honest!!

Catsey Veteran

20-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #18

Well hopefully this is just the forerunner of more sophisticated/effective drugs along the same lines. No pilling and no tummy issues would be a huge plus for the ferals and the terrified, as well as the pampered house cats who just aren't good at it, cats belonging to frail old ladies, disabled people etc etc.