Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #11

Re: What to do with Pousse for long period of time!

I'm quite dubious about a cattery for a very nervous shy high-strung cat. My one and only experience was not a happy one; I don't blame the cattery which was established, well known and of good repute. My Siamese weighed 10 pounds, when I got him home he was down to 8! And a nervous wreck! He barely ate while there and was desperately unhappy. I never did it again. Many cats don't mind the cattery experience, some actually enjoy it; it depends on the cat's temperament. You know Pousse...go with your instincts!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
15-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #12

If you are planning on taking her to France, you need to get your skates on to get the innoculations etc for the pet passport done in time.

Scout around for a nice cattery where you think she might get the right kind of care for her.

The more options you have the greater the chance that you'll find the best solution.

Good luck.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
15-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #13

She has her jabs and only needs her rabies and chip

I think a cattery would completely overwhelm her - she was miserable in the cat rescue and is so very very highly strung I know a wonderful cattery but don't think it would be fair on her for 3 months. Then again not sure how she would travel - argh dilemmas. If she did come to France we have the space to keep her indoors and away from mum and dads cats one of whom would be ok with her but other two a bit terrotorial although they live out all the time.

To be honest looks like I will have to stay here really unless frien could care for her but it's a big imposition

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #14

Have you any other family living near who may be able to help you out in some way?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #15

Hold on could you not travel with her there sooner. Get her accustomed to being there then she will be settled. Maybe you could get the vet to sedate her for the journey or part of it.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #16

That's an excellent suggestion about sedation if you travel via Chunnel and car...normally I don't like the idea of sedation, but for a high strung cat like Pousse it sounds practical...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
18-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #17

I hope you can find a solution to your problem... I think everyone has made some good suggestions but in the end its what will be best for Pousse xxxxx good luck in finding the right solution

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #18

I found this regarding the rabies vaccination. Double check that you have enough time to take her back with you...
"The 6 month rule for entering or re-entering the UK Pets may not enter or re-enter the UK until 6 calendar months have passed from the date that a vet took the blood sample which gave a satisfactory test result. Your pet requires only one blood test and 6 months wait provided all subsequent rabies booster vaccinations are given by the required date."
from this page here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...info/blood.htm

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
21-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #19

We've decided that mum will come and stay with me and care for me at my place. Pousse is not a young cat and it's lass stressful for me to stay where I am than it is putting her in a cattery of taking her with us It's not ideal but we'll cope

Thanks for all the advice everyone

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #20

I'm glad you were able find an ideal solution Soupie, everyone will be happy now..