Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #11

Re: Magpie and cat!

That is an amazing story! But a magpie is a fairly good-sized bird, and maybe the cat had already had lunch .....and wasn't up to the hassle of tackling it! Here in the States, mockingbirds are fiercely territorial at nesting time; my neighbor had a pair nesting in her tree and they attacked her poor cat unmercifully every time he came out!! Poor Frisky got so he'd slink quietly out the back door to avoid being pecked!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #12

Thanks Animagus, so had i...but this had to be seen to be believed!!! The poor cat!

Catsey Junior

04-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
That is an amazing story! But a magpie is a fairly good-sized bird, and maybe the cat had already had lunch .....and wasn't up to the hassle of tackling it! Here in the States, mockingbirds are fiercely territorial at nesting time; my neighbor had a pair nesting in her tree and they attacked her poor cat unmercifully every time he came out!! Poor Frisky got so he'd slink quietly out the back door to avoid being pecked!
Awwww bless him!
Have to admit this is a BIG magpie!

Global Moderator

04-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #14

I saw the same thing happen to my neighbours cat a few years ago Ramble! She was on their garden shed too and a magpie flew out of the overhanging tree and started attacking it. They are vicious things when they are protecting their nests

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #15

Thats a great story! Thanks for popping over to tell us... would of been great to see!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble
Awwww bless him!
Have to admit this is a BIG magpie!
And probably tough and chewy also!! Smart cat!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #17

Lol poor cat, magpies are nasty. I saw one a few days ago chasing a little bird in the air! my dad said it was after it! (I was shocked!)

Tigger use to lie on the grass while this one black bird (that I saw today . ) use to stand next to Tigger tweeting/shouting away coz my cat was relaxing on the grass!
I think they understood eachother though, coz if that was another bird Tigger would of had its guts for garters!!!

Catsey Junior

04-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #18

Mags it was nasty...and was not about to give up, I'm sure it would have gone for the cats eyes given half a chance. Don't worry I would have stepped in at that point and startled it away!

Thanks Donna! You are a very friendly bunch!

LOL at dandysmum!!!! Yep looks like it would be!!!

Catsey Junior

04-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #19

Awww this magpie is always having scuffles with the blackbirds! This magpie is just always having scuffles thinking about it.
Why are you sad when you mention the magpie?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #20

Magpies are notorious bullies Thank you for sharing your story! Stay around, you'll have lots of fun and there's no law says you have to own a cat to be here