Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #11

Re: rescue dog policy (neutering)

I am pro neutering females, but not nesessarilly males. For health reasons alone, I think all female rescuse shouel be spayed but males, personally I'd leave it up to the owner.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #12

Can I ask why you are not so bothered about the neutering of males Dawn?
My personal feeling is that all both male and female should be neutered, especially from a rescue point of view, both for medical and population reasons.
I also feel the same way about humans but thats never going to happen is it

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Ragdoll, BSH & Maine Coons
29-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #13

I always thought the donation you paid was to cover the cost of neutering and part of their stay whilst in the rescue. Obviously not it seems.
Seems an easy way for some people to make money if they can get hold of a pedigree dog via a rescue as no doubt they will be paying a lot less than they would from a breeder and then go on to mate the dog and sell the puppies. Some of the prices people ask for none registered pedigree dogs and cats are ridiculous nowadays but people still pay it.

Sarah
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
30-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #14

Ok i'm going to sound like a hypocrite here, having had 2 accidental matings of moggies, but I think all rescues should neuter dogs and bitches, whether they be mongrels, pedigree, or even excellent pedigree worth breeding from. The fact remains that once in a rescue home, they face an uncertain future, and as much as homes/owners are vetted, people can be deceiving and once a dog is in rescue for whatever reason, it is my opinion that it should be neutered. The fact remains that SOMEONE bred the dog, and whoever did should accept a lifelong commitment to the dog and take it back at any age if it can be no longer cared for by whomever the breeder sold it to. If they cannot do this then yes the dog should be neutered to prevent a similar reoccurance.

I say the same about breeders, it is obvious you cannot neuter an 8 week old pup, or tell if it will be worth breeding from in the future. But I believe all puppies should be sold with endorsements, and if sold to a pet only home, the new owner should have to sign a neuter contract, whereas if this is not carried out by a certain date/age of the dog, the dog is legally to be returned/collected by the breeder. The same point to be made as if a dog is bought with a view to breeding, the breeder should only lift endorsements when satisfied that said dog is a good enough example of the breed to be bred from, and if not then the dog must be neutered, and a contract for this should also be set up at the point of puppy purchase. JMO

I do know that a lot of breed specific rescues don't neuter, I would even say the majority of breed specific. I can't say for every breed but I do know of rescues for my own favoured breeds, and their policies.

All in all if a dog is bred for the right reasons (to better the breed), it will have endorsements on it's pedigree anyway, and 'should', never end up in any type of rescue as responsible breeders will always take back a dog they have bred, at any age, and keep in touch with the owners all pups they have bred for the lifetime of their pups. If this were always the case no dog would ever end up in a rescue in the first place, even accidental matings, but we all know the harsh truth and it will never be a perfect world!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
30-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Can I ask why you are not so bothered about the neutering of males Dawn?
My personal feeling is that all both male and female should be neutered, especially from a rescue point of view, both for medical and population reasons.
I also feel the same way about humans but thats never going to happen is it
It not that I am not bothered Elaine, I really cannot see any health justifiable benefit for a male. They often become targets for entire males, they are more likely (in my experience) to suffer weight gain, their coats change, as do some females, but in some breeds its conserably worse in the neutered males than the females.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

30-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #16

I have always beleived that there are health benefits for both males and females by having them neutered and spayed. Pyometra and mamery cancer in females, testicular canser, anal adenomas and prostrate problems in males.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
30-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I have always beleived that there are health benefits for both males and females by having them neutered and spayed. Pyometra and mamery cancer in females, testicular canser, anal adenomas and prostrate problems in males.
agree with Elaine, I think there are health benefits for males & females to be neutered

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
30-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #18

I am 100% for neutering BUT:

My Holly came from a very large northern dogs home. They deal with upto and I am sure sometimes, over 10,000 dogs per year. They neither neuter nor homecheck. My argument is this because of the quantities of dogs they have (not by choice but because they have to) a quick turnover is paramount to save as many dogs as possible. They do give neutering vouchers and have a very reasonably priced neutering scheme at the home. Although not ideal I can't see an alternative.

One person on a dog rescue said "I would rather have one dog rehomed properly". When asked the question of what happened to the other 9,999 I received no answer.

Pros and Cons

Catsey Veteran

30-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #19

I dont have the answers and recognise it's a big issue and not one that can be resolved easily. My feeling is that by not doing home checks and by not neutering/spaying stray dogs and cats you are only contributing further to the problems of homeless animals and are not part of the solution.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
30-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
I am 100% for neutering BUT:

My Holly came from a very large northern dogs home. They deal with upto and I am sure sometimes, over 10,000 dogs per year. They neither neuter nor homecheck. My argument is this because of the quantities of dogs they have (not by choice but because they have to) a quick turnover is paramount to save as many dogs as possible. it is by choice Rosie.They do give neutering vouchers and have a very reasonably priced neutering scheme at the home. Although not ideal I can't see an alternative.

One person on a dog rescue said "I would rather have one dog rehomed properly". I would agree with the person that said this When asked the question of what happened to the other 9,999 I received no answer.

Pros and Cons
It's a sad world out there & whilst we can not help rescue all the cats & dogs in it, we can certainly ensure the ones that are rescued are dealt with & rehomed responsibly. To not H/C or neuter is in my opinion irresponsible.