Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
05-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #11

Re: another moral dilema

Unless you could prove beyond doubt that he is a stray I would say definitely NO. You could find yourself in trouble for doing this to somebody else's cat (I totally 100% agree with neutering incidentally). In this day and age of "litigation" you have to be very careful.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
05-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #12

Hi Emm, I have been going through the a similar dilema you can read about my 'stray' here http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=20027

I found out my stray had an owner after flyering the whole street, just the owner is useless at caring for his poor cat! I like the collar idea too!

This week we took him to the vet to have him tested for FIV/ FeLV since he is un neutered and gets into fights he has a good chance of having those and he is coming into our house and mixing with our cats, lucky for all of us the tests came back clear.

Oh and the next time he sees a vet hes being neutered!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #13

I had a similar problem too and it turned out that the visitor had FeLV. Please do be careful about any contact he may have with Felix. It was a really worrying time for me waiting to get my cats tested to see if they had it too. Fortunately they have all been negative - but it's really not worth the worry.

I know how hard it is to turn them away - but you have to do the right thing for Felix at the end of the day.

I would catch the intruder and take him to the vets. See if he has a microchip and see if they will neuter. My vets wouldn't neuter the stray/intruder I had as I couldn't agree to take him in and look after him after the op (as I have other cats and he was upsetting them).

Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #14

I had the same problem, Chancer used to come in a spray and did he stink, but had him neutered after discovering he had been straying for about a year, hehas moved in and all is not calm again...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
I'd try to fit a collar with a note volunteering to neuter him first. If he has owners, they should at least know he's welcome, but smelly.
EXCELLENT! i'd never have thought of that!

That's a great idea and i'd go with that first, and then i'd bite the bullet and get him done, there's no worse smell than cat pee!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
06-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
originally posted by HREOW
I'd try to fit a collar with a note volunteering to neuter him first. If he has owners, they should at least know he's welcome, but smelly.
excellant idea! just need to catch him now

Quote:
originally posted by ROSIE
Unless you could prove beyond doubt that he is a stray I would say definitely NO. You could find yourself in trouble for doing this to somebody else's cat (I totally 100% agree with neutering incidentally). In this day and age of "litigation" you have to be very careful.
I wonder if I could bring a litigation case against the owners for all the cat food and cleaning products he has cost me

Quote:
originally posted by CHARLIEBUBS
I know how hard it is to turn them away - but you have to do the right thing for Felix at the end of the day.
Felix and all my other cats are really not bothered by this cat at all. He just comes in and then goes LOL - I don't encourage him to come in he comes in through the cat flap normally in the night

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #17

Emm
I'd have a look at your cat flap. See if any feline messages are there. Like All welcome, good food and comfy beds

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
06-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #18

Don't know what I would do in your position. Neutering is best for the fella but it may not stop him spraying as some neutered males and females(entire and spayed) spray, unfortunately.