Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #11

Re: Fleas what do you think?

When my cats went outdoors on their harnesses I had fleas, and used Frontline. But since Leia doesn't go outdoors I don't have a flea problem...and I flea-comb her at least once a week, so am sure. I avoid using chemicals if at all possible.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #12

Mine only get de-fleaed around twice a year, i.e. when we notice them on them, and no, the house isn't overrun with fleas! We do of course check them regularly.

Re: Frontline and fleas possibly becoming immune - don't know if this is connected but Frontline never worked on my now departed Mizzie. She was treated with it by the RSPCA before we collected her from the cattery, but within a few days she was crawling with them. We treated her again and it still didn't work! Thankfully Stronghold did....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
Why?? ...............
Because, by that age I believe they have enough immunity in their systems and vaccinations are no longer necessary. When I was speaking to one of the vets at our practice recently, he agreed with me and said he does the same. Many people choose not to vaccinate after initial puppy or kitten vaccs. Rosie & Misty also react badly to their boosters and in fact Misty was so poorly one time that the vets were very concerned. Many vets now no longer consider it necessary to vaccinate annually and people are choosing titre testing as an alternative to find out if their pets have the required level of immunity. Of course vets would lose a lot of income if vaccs were only bi-annual. I know of at least two people on other forums who have lost pets as a result of vaccination. I prefer not to uneccessarily overload my pets with chemicals, etc. Of course it is personal choice. Sorry Charlie, you did ask!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #14

I only vaccinate until they are around 5 years old and my previous vet totally agreed with my reasons why - over vaccination / enough immunity etc... BUT by the age of 12 plus I would be looking to re vaccinate, as older cats are more prone to illness and tend to be more immunocompromised so it wouldn't be for me vaccinating until 10 and then not Going into twlight years I feel that is the age just like young kittens that they need the support of vaccinations and like I say my previous vet agreed with me. My current vet is of the opinion that all cats should be fully vaccinated every year of their lives

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #15

It's difficult when vets can't agree isn't it Fran? I can see the sense it what you do. Rosie is only 7, but she won't be having any more boosters as she reacts so badly to them. As my cats are getting older they go outside less and usually stay in our garden, so I think they encounter less risk. Again, I think it is a personal decision and our vets should support us whatever we decide.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
It's difficult when vets can't agree isn't it Fran? I can see the sense it what you do. Rosie is only 7, but she won't be having any more boosters as she reacts so badly to them. As my cats are getting older they go outside less and usually stay in our garden, so I think they encounter less risk. Again, I think it is a personal decision and our vets should support us whatever we decide.
I can see your point of view Kim but being a multicat household here even as the older ones stop going out as much the younger ones still will and could still carry something in. Porsha reacted badly to her kitten injections but my dilema is that she is such a sickly cat anyhow that a bad does of flu would probably finish her off so I'm really going to have to put some thought into what I will do when her boosters are due

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
05-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #17

Thanks for the replies guys.

I wasn't criticising anyone's decisions - I was just interested.

You have answered my question now - thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

05-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I can see your point of view Kim but being a multicat household here even as the older ones stop going out as much the younger ones still will and could still carry something in. Porsha reacted badly to her kitten injections but my dilema is that she is such a sickly cat anyhow that a bad does of flu would probably finish her off so I'm really going to have to put some thought into what I will do when her boosters are due
Good luck with whatever you decide Fran. x