Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
28-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #11

Re: rats in my garden

I've never had proper kim-chi, have to try to find some. I'm trying to get work used to hot food by filling my "Victoria-sponge-alike" with lime curd flavoured with hot-lemon chilis. ^^ Spicy food is great! But hopefully not if you are a rat. Though with the curry-remains in the garbage here in the UK, they may be immune, or knock on your door demanding spicier bird-seed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #12

I reduced my bird-feeding because of a little visitor . The new feeding station is free standing and very near the house. It took the birds a while but they are back visiting it again now. I think it's close enough to put off four-footed tresspassers.
I miss having the feeder in the hedge and seeing the avian visitors there though ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
I understand your feelings Kim, yes I agree that they spread dieseases but do you know that humans spread more dieseases than rats

I just don't want them on my bird feeder!!!! lol
Do they really - I didn't know that!!!!

I can understand you don't want them on your bird feeder, neither would I.

I think I almost have a phobia of rats, it's their tails, they make me cringe and that probably came across in my post!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #14

Could you put an upside down cone shaped thing on the pole of the feeder to stop them climbing further up?

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Could you put an upside down cone shaped thing on the pole of the feeder to stop them climbing further up?
I'm not sure if the squirrel baffles etc deter rats - you'd think so wouldn't you? Have a look here http://www.birdfood.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
28-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna

Sorry I should have clarified this, my bird feeder hangs from my willow tree

Well this morning the fury monsters were out having their breakfast, so out I go in my pyjamas and armed with an empty plastic milk carton and a large rock (nobody cringe the rock was only to throw at the tree and scare them) so I throw rock and carton at the tree to scare it off, so it just jumped onto my willow tree and the poor thing froze and you could see it was petrified, so me being a softy left it be and went inside. I have decided today I am going to take the feeder down.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #17

Oh dear, rats - 1, Emma - 0. At least warmer weather is coming, so the birds willhave natural food sources now; maybe come Autumn the rats will have forgotten that food used to be available there...

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #18

Here's a nut feeder you could hang from your tree which is guaranteed squirrel proof, so I gues that would cover ratty too? http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/in...&productid=266

Catsey Veteran

28-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #19

Or you could dedicate a patch of your newly designed garden to natural food for the birds - seedy plants, plants to encourage insects etc? Sort of recompense