Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to post about acts of cruelty to cats onCatsey?
Yes, we should not bury out heads in the sand 9 60.00%
No, Catsey memebrs are aware but don't need horror on the site 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
01-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #11

Re: Is it appropriate to post about acts of cruelty to cats on Catsey

Dinahsmum, I'm pretty new, so I hadn't seen any graphic titles. In that case, perhaps it would be a good thing to ask posters to consider the sensibilities of others in giving their threads titles.

On another forum I recently posted a link to a site showing medical photos of female genital mutilation. There are very few photos available and I feel the world needs to see this.

I gave a very clear warning at the top of the message and all posters agreed that this was a considerate way of doing it, instead of just copying the photos and dumping them on the forum, so that people got to see them whether they wanted to or not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #12

A forum is a place to post. WE should not be censored - free speech and all that!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
01-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
A forum is a place to post. WE should not be censored - free speech and all that!!
You are right of course Donna, but I have to say that seeing such posts really upset me. If someone posts such a thread I feel I have to look at it, even though it upsets me. Stupid I know. So I suppose what I am saying is that I personally would rather not see such posts here in the first place!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
01-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #14

Well I think a good compromise would be a warning in the title, indicating that it is shocking but without giving any details of the cruelty involved.

Perhaps we should have another poll on this question, just for clarity.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #15

The title of the deleted link was so graphic that anyone who didn't want to see it knew not to click on it. I find these atrocities horrible, but the more publicity there is, the more public outrage, the better chance that harsher laws and penalties may be enacted. I say let the member decide to click or not click.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #16

Thing is the titles being posted as you say are so graphic you have a picture in your head even without entering the thread. Maybe the titles should be more thoughtful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #17

I dont want any one to shuffle off any where, coz I'd really miss you guys.
The thing is, although I too find these posts very distressing, I think they are important reminders of how much animal suffering there is out there. I know we all know it goes on but some times we can get a bit complacent to the extent of it. That said i dont want to read these posts every day. In an ideal world I wouldnt want to be reading them at all.
I do visit other forums which are full of these atrocities to animals threads and unless it is some one asking for some help, I tend to avoid them as they are many and I get emotionally drained reading them and feeling bloody helpless.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #18

I agree, don't want any of you to leave! Maybe Az could have an icon like the yucky face on poison bottles so that you could tell it was going to be very graphic without seeing a title that more or less spells out what it is. I know what you mean about imagining...I've had horrid pictures in my mind just from the title of the deleted link...but I do think it should be up to the member to decide.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #19

My point was, we have discussed this many times on Catsey, and really don't see the need to keep on discussing it....I am well aware of the cruelty that many animals go through, I have worked with dog rescue for years and some of the things I have seen have been horrendous....and at the end of the day, there is very little we can do....Apart from support the charities who deal with this cruelty...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #20

Like the icon idea maybe Azz could take this on board, its the titles - my imagination can run riot with very little help.

Closed Thread