Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 11 various
01-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #11

Re: To those with "entire" cats

Well the testicles on my old Felix are fully functional
As last year he fathered 2 litters, 7 babies in total.

He had an MOT a few weeks back, and he is in fine condition except the big tumour in his belly. But his little spuds show no sign of any cancerous problems.

Before anyone asks, I took Felix on 2 and a half years ago and saved him from being PTS. So its not as if I just never bothered to castrate him.

Luckily, theres no real smell from him, and he doesnt spray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
01-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #12

No they don't all spray do they Moggz. My Tate doesn't either and he lives with 3 entire girls another entire male, who also doesn't spray, 3 spayed girls and a neutered male, who does spray.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
01-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #13

Only Vincent and Mabel here not done - they are far too young at the mo x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
01-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
It is interesting you have such an old entire Tom Moggz - I know there is a risk of testicular cancer in unneutered males. I wonder if he is an exception to the rule.
Surely it is "only" a risk? Not a certainty?
Though I suppose cats will get older these days, and just like people they eventually get old enough for one variant or other of cancer to get us. : /
Not many people dying because they're "worn out" any more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggz
Well the testicles on my old Felix are fully functional
As last year he fathered 2 litters, 7 babies in total.

He had an MOT a few weeks back, and he is in fine condition except the big tumour in his belly. But his little spuds show no sign of any cancerous problems.

Before anyone asks, I took Felix on 2 and a half years ago and saved him from being PTS. So its not as if I just never bothered to castrate him.

Luckily, theres no real smell from him, and he doesnt spray.
I dont think thats anything to be proud of. were you not careful or was such a thing intentional?
Dawn.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
01-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #16

Well, it is obviously only a risk and not a certainty, as any reproductive cancer is. However, to me, it is a risk that is taken away completely with neutering, and I would get any oldie done as long as the vet OK'd them for an anaesthetic - I lost a 14 yo cat to mammary cancer last year, who couldn't be spayed as she had other health issues that also hadn't been dealt with at a younger age, so the vet said it was too risky. If just a spay would have cured it, I might have been tempted to push the vet, as blood tests showed her liver and kidney functions were fine, but she would have also needed her mammary strips removing after that and the vet couldn't guarantee that it would work or give her any longer, but it would have been a painful op.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
01-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #17

Tabs is spayed, Kiara isn't yet, she is only just old enuff but i'd prefer her to have a season first, and Vitanni is just a baby, but they all will be done when the time is right, even though they are house cats, u never know

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
01-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #18

Actually there are positive health reasons to having a cat spayed before their first season - when I researched mammary cancer, one study said that cats are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat. Also, being in season isn't pleasant for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
01-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Actually there are positive health reasons to having a cat spayed before their first season - when I researched mammary cancer, one study said that cats are 200 times less likely to get mammary cancer if spayed before their first heat. Also, being in season isn't pleasant for them.
I've looked into it extensively and it's just how i'd prefer to do it, same with dogs, I know they are dramatically different but basically the same reasoning for and against.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 11 various
02-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I dont think thats anything to be proud of. were you not careful or was such a thing intentional?
Dawn.
I'm sorry but your reply is well out of order.

The reason he fathered 2 litters was because the queen we had as a kitten got to 6 months and we were short of money, as our vet had assured us that Felix would be sterile due to his age, we didnt worry so much about having her speyed, and Felix was the only cat in the house with spuds so we put off having her speyed for a month. Took her to be speyed and she was already pregnant and I dont condone murder.
She duly gave birth and we were out at the time, and despite thinking we were ok to not spey her until the kittens were weaned, once the kittens were weaned we took her to be speyed, only to find out she was pregnant again.

as soon as the kittens were 6 weeks we had her speyed.

And if you read my post properly - you would have noticed i wasnt proud of it, i was rather annoyed. Strangely - I'm rather annoyed again now.