Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2 Domestic Shorthairs
30-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #11

Re: Cat now has the runs

Sorry I meant to mention that Molly is nearly 5 years old. Thank goodness she is still drinking water. I wonder if a small amount of tinned tuna (I have a can that says it is in springwater) is worth a go? I am not sure if tuna is too rich? I would only give her a very small amount as her tummy is so empty.

Carol
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #12

When it comes to fish, I buy the frozen white fish from Asda and it is only £1.66 a bag, and does nearly the whole week for Teddie, although as Molly is older she would probably need a little more. x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
30-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #13

Hi Carol, welcome to Catsey!

Sorry to hear you also have a cat with an upset tummy. I can only support and add to what has been said above ......... I swear by steamed or boiled white fish, cod or the cheaper coley. If Molly is hungry enough she will eat it ........ I think it is much better to try to persevere with this for the moment.....

I do hope she will be better soon, please keep us updated with her progress......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #14

Do you think she could be in a stressy vicious circle? She feels stressed, it gives her a 'nervous tummy', she has an accident, she gets more stressed, her tummy worsens etc etc
Have you heard of the Feliway spray and plug in diffuser? here's a link http://www.feliway.co.uk/. I think you can get it at Pets at Home etc and there are certainly plenty of places offering it on line.
If you read the bit on the opening page on stress and facial pheremones it might give you an insight and a few tips. Maybe take a clean hankie, rub it on her face between cheek and ears and then rub it round the walls at her nose height, pay particular attention to door frames and furniture legs. Might just make her feel more relaxed.
Good luck

30-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #15

The Feliway is a good idea and I am going to give it a go. We do get the odd intruder through the catflap which does her no good at all. The vet suggested it but I have found it online £9 cheaper than the vet so far and I can probably get it for even less if I look a little further. I don't think there can be a poor vet around (unless of course they work for a charity). I spent 20 minutes in the waiting room and they took well over £500 in fees during that time. Most of the animals seemed to be there for routine jabs etc - nothing major at all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #16

Hi and welcome to the forum, I too have a kitten with severe diarrhoea problems on and off. Stool samples revealed Giardia and she was treated with Metronidazole which was the treatment of choice but made her diarrhoea problems worse. She was then treated with Baytril which helped loads. I would recommend you buy some Promax paste as this is excellent at helping to settle upset tums and has binding agents and probiotics in it. Porsha was on the Royal Canin sensitive pouches, chicken and rice flavour which helped enormously too and she very much enjoyed them despite the fact she is a fussy eater. I'd recommend you worm with Panacur rather than Bob Martin's. I don't think Panacur is available as tablets. It comes as a liquid, paste, granules and palatable treats as far as I know. The paste may be easiest to give. You should be able to buy any of them online and they will be cheaper than what your vet's charge anyhow I should think. Good luck and do let us know how you get on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
30-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #17

Hope Molly has improved. I would also agree to the boiled fish diet.

Also my vet recommended the Feliway for my Chloe as she has just had a bout of cystitus and the vet said it was often stress related. We have lots of neighbourhood intruders through the cat flap which doesnt help a nervous cat.

He also said not to expect major differences straight away and to use it for a month before you expect to see a difference.

31-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #18

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Molly seems quite a lot better - no more runny poos (actually no poos at all as yet) but there again she hasn't eaten a great deal in the last few days. The local ginger tom who is a regular visitor through the cat flap is eating the Royal Canin diet so at least it is not going to waste! Fortunately Molly is OK with him so she is not stressed about his visit. I managed to get her to eat some tinned tuna yesterday, but today she is not keen on it. There is some steamed white fish awaiting her in the kitchen but she is asleep upstairs at the moment so I am not sure whether she will eat that. My other cat Amber sniffed at it and ran off so it may go to waste. I also managed to get some Purina One biscuits in the sensitive variety so have put some of those out, and also some HiLife, although they only had the poultry variety which I hope will be OK - Tescos do not seem to stock the fish ones so I may go and look elsewhere tomorrow.

I looked at Panacur on the web and found that you can get it in tablets. As Molly has not had all her worming treatment I will probably have to get some more. Another visitor, a very large Persian who frightens Molly to death (he is a real softee but looks so big) popped in and finished off her tuna while I turned my back for 2 minutes this morning - fortunately Molly did not see him but it is a real pain that the worming powder seems to be worming the neighbours' cats rather than Molly!

Anyway fingers crossed she is progressing OK. I will get the Feliway after the New Year break. I did have a look at their website (thanks to DM for that) and looked at the video which said you need to give it a month. I think I will wait and see if I need promax paste or canikur granules as so far there have been no poos at all.

Again thanks for all your suggestions.

I will give an update tomorrow, so in the meantime hope that everyone has a great New Years Eve. Fingers crossed there aren't too many fireworks tonight, perhaps the wind and rain is a good thing for us cat owners.

Carol
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #19

Thanks for keeping us up to date Carol. Fingers crossed she starts to improve. Teddie is back on her fish and is doing much better poo's now, so it does help, but if Molly wont eat it what can you do! Keep us posted. ((hugs))

31-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #20

Glad to hear from Alex that Teddie is back on her fish and that she is progressing well. Molly has just come downstairs and as predicted has turned her nose up at the fish, but is tucking into the biscuits for sensitive tummies - fingers crossed she doesn't run to the tray soon after!

My OH just picked her up and says she is still a "pudding". She is quite a large (not fat) cat and weighs 10.5lbs so can afford to go without food a for a while, unlike a poor little kittie like Teddie.

Let's hope 2007 will be a a turning point for all our poorly felines.