Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #11

Re: More Red Squirrel pics

Het, are your red squirrels as destructive in the garden as the grey ones? We are absolutely infested with them here in Washington...they dig up bulbs as fast as you plant them, eat tomatoes off the vines just as they're ripening...UGH, I hate them, just arboreal rats in my opinion!!!! Last Fall I put in 20 tulip bulbs...3 survived!! Sorry to sound bitter...nothing but bad experiences with the little vermin all my gardening life!! But.... those were great piccies!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
15-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Het, are your red squirrels as destructive in the garden as the grey ones? We are absolutely infested with them here in Washington...they dig up bulbs as fast as you plant them, eat tomatoes off the vines just as they're ripening...UGH, I hate them, just arboreal rats in my opinion!!!! Last Fall I put in 20 tulip bulbs...3 survived!! Sorry to sound bitter...nothing but bad experiences with the little vermin all my gardening life!! But.... those were great piccies!
Hiya Dandysmom....no the Red squirrels seem to keep very much to themselves. They are the native species here and the Greys are the pests, they are threatening the Reds in a number of ways including a deadly Squirrel Pox which the Greys carry. In this area the Gamekeepers would shoot a Grey squirrel if they saw it. There are a lot of people dedicated to saving the Red squirrel which makes it all the more special to have it as a visitor.

Poor you with your squirrels...I remember being warned about them when i was in america as they were very forward...and were inclined to bite

Catsey Veteran

15-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #13

"Forward" isn't strong enough...aggressive is better, and indeed they DO bite!! The idiot who imported the pests to the UK must be spinning in his grave today!!

Catsey Veteran

17-04-2006, 02:59 AM   #14

PS: if it weren't illegal to discharge a firearm within the City, I would love to borrow one of your gamekeepers.....